< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Revolver vs Semi-Automatic Pistol  (Read 2175 times)

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Revolver vs Semi-Automatic Pistol
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »
So I have a question for everyone, as I "still" have yet to purchase my 1st firearm, (because I want to make sure I get the correct one) I am in debate as to what I want, a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol.  Now the guy at Cabelas yesterday said that revolvers will never jam on you, vs pistols may. I would be using this strictly or mostly for home protection, so I wouldn't need a big clip.  There does seem to be more pistols than revolvers on the market and my choice for a pistol would be a 9mm because of the readily available ammo, however I haven't done a ton of research on revolvers.  Also, I don't certainly need a hand canon for a pistol or revolver, just something that would get the job done or scare the intruder.  What are everyone's thoughts?  Thank you for your time and input.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Revolver vs Semi-Automatic Pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
Largely depends on what you're going to use it for.  It's like asking what pickup/car is best.  If you know someone who has several ask to shoot various ones, if not some ranges rent guns and take what sales help says with a grain of salt.   ;D

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
Police used to carry revolvers. That they have switched to automatics should tell you which design they believe is preferable for self defense. Any reliability advantage a revolver might have is outweighed by the automatic's greater ammunition capacity and lighter trigger.

Medium or full sized handguns from major manufacturers are good enough that the differences between them are a matter of personal preference. Subcompact automatics are noticeably less reliable than larger ones. Small guns, whether revolver or automatic, are more difficult to shoot well.

Before buying anything, I suggest you try out as many different handguns as possible. Some ranges rent guns to shoot on the premises. (You will probably need a Nebraska handgun certificate which you can get from the county sheriff for $5.)

If you are new to guns, it's worth the price to get competent instruction. 88tactical in Omaha has basic classes and will rent you a gun. The new Omaha Gun Club has an NRA basic pistol class scheduled for May. Perhaps, others will have additional recommendations.

Especially if your purpose is self defense, it's critical that you understand applicable law. Andrew Branca's book, The Law of Self Defense, is excellent. (He has a class scheduled in August at Nebraska Shooters in Firth.) Lawyer Gary Young (CCW Legal Survival) teaches classes on self defense.

Even if you don't intend to carry concealed, it's worth the time, effort and money to get your Nebraska concealed handgun permit. It significantly simplifies buying, owning, carrying and transporting handguns.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
...because I want to make sure I get the correct one...

You MIGHT end up being different than 99% of the rest of us, but this statement kind of made me laugh. NOT making fun of you, but I was thinking back about when I started getting into shooting. I did my research, read/absorbed every bit of information I could from friends and the 'experts' on the internet, then made my purchase. Five pistols later (mind you that is a VERY slow accrual rate compared to many gun enthusiasts) and I still haven't found that one perfect pistol that fits my overall needs.

I would be using this strictly or mostly for home protection, so I wouldn't need a big clip.

Not meaning to be the 'grammar nazi', but what you insert into most pistols is a 'Magazine', not a 'Clip'. Many use the terms interchangeably, but the thing about language is that the correct terms need to be used, otherwise meaning and intent is lost in the conversation. That's my 2¢. Take it or leave it.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Personal preference is a pistol. Revolvers ARE pretty reliable, but down sides are...
  • Likely slower reloads
  • Possibly more awkward to carry a reload
  • Lower capacity
  • Less accurate and slower shots (IMHO) due to 1) double action nature of revolvers, and 2) a firm/stable grip is more difficult to obtain

Whatever you choose, go with a reputable brand with good customer service/support. If looking at a pistol, I recommend a Glock because they simply work. They are not necessarily my favorite pistols, but for a reliable and durable pistol, I don't think they can be beat.

Pick what sounds best to you, but only after you have a chance to shoot both. Then if you are like the rest of us, you will have the other in a short while, and they will multiply like rabbits.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:15:30 PM »
Revolvers are making a comeback not only as target andcollector value but also carry weapons. Police departments made the switch to semi autos mainly for the capacity advantage. That doesn't mean it's the best choice for you or even them. Last I checked the NYPD shots on target average was somewhere south of 10%. The saying you can't miss fast enough to win seems to be a very valid concept. A good reliable 357 is tough to beat for home defense but if you don't put the time and effort into becoming proficient, when the time comes to need it, the type you fire your misses with hardly seems important. I agree with the shoot as many as you can before you buy and have realistic expectations. I wouldn't have an issue with either of them. If you are in or near south sioux, I have many examples you can handle and shoot if you like. Just remember handguns are compromise weapons and that's especially true of semi autos.

CC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
I have both. My pistols are reliable but the other day at the range one of my patrols didn't load properly. Took a second at the range to clear it. No big deal at the range but suppose it was during a home invasion. Hopefully by practicing it still wouldn't be a big deal but it could be.

I bought a S&W model 327 TRR8 and it holds 8 .357 rounds. This is as many as my S&W 9mm shield.   Not as easy to conceal but I keep it on the nightstand and carry my 9.

My point is it may take more than one "tool" to meet your needs. Some will mock me for this but I say get a revolver, practice with it and consider a pistol too. A larger capacity magazine is nice.

People often ask what caliber for hunting and the answer is the one you can shoot accurately. Applies to home defense too which gun do you shoot accurately and have confidence in

Just an opinion and others will have different ones that are valid.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:55 PM »
Now the guy at Cabelas yesterday said that revolvers will never jam on you,

Well, how can I say it nicely..............................??

That statement is not at all correct, if that's what the Cabela Fella said.

If he perhaps said, "less likely", then we'll give him a pass.   If he said "never", well........never say "Never".

All that's needed to jam a revolver is a high primer, or some dirt, grit, powder residue, various other stuff.

They jam.   Argument can be made that they jam less than semi-autos, but they still will jam.

FWIW, my primary Home Defense device is a very clean, lightly oiled Smith and Wesson Model 19 .357Magnum revolver w/Buffalo Bore Low-Flash SD loads.   And secondarily, a raft of semi-autos, led by a Glock Model 33 .357Sig.   

For final, final, final last ditch self-defense, there's my Jiminez JA-22 in .22LR w/CCI Stingers.   Very intimidating to Perps.   They fear it being thrown at them by a Panicked Householder.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:48:43 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:09 PM »
If you carry a quality pistol and keep it clean and oiled and use quality ammo and avoid limp wristing, I'd say an automatic malfunctioning at the same time you need to defend yourself is unlikely enough that it's probably God's will that it happen, and He can make a revolver malfunction too.  It does happen though; Murphy's Law does apply to self defense. But it isn't very common, or the police wouldn't be carrying automatics.

I carry a pistol because I don't know what the future holds, and criminal assault is something that does happen.  I carry extra ammo for the same reason (and because there's no reason not to).  You can carry speed loaders for the revolver, but extra magazines work better.  Once the gun's out of ammo, it won't do you any good. 

That having been said, I think revolvers are cool.  I think swords are cool too.  But if my life might be on the line I'd rather have the best weapon I can get.  I'm far from an expert, but those who are seem to prefer autos over revolvers for police, and I believe bodyguards and security personnel are more likely to carry autos too (though that's an assumption).  So they must have something going for them.

It isn't really something where there's a right and wrong choice.  Either will be likely to serve your purpose just fine. 

I haven't taught as many new shooters as the professional instructors here but those I have taught I usually started them out with a revolver and then let them try various autos, and I haven't had anyone decide they liked the revolver better yet.  But some people do like revolvers better I guess, and being comfortable with your weapon and confident in your ability to use it is probably more important than any difference between the two types.  So I would take the advice others here have given you and try a few out and see what you would rather have in your hand if your life is on the line.

Or do like some of us and get a safe full of every kind of gun made before you decide. 

Then after you get your gun go rent a bunch of action movies to study correct gun handling.  Well maybe not.  A better idea would be to hook up with an actual instructor.  There are a lot of them around.  Just make sure they have an NRA certification or some kind of credentials showing that they're qualified. 

The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
There are a lot of things to take into consideration here, beyond your original question, as you can see from the responses. I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. This is my advice to you; 1) Get a Purchase Permit through your County Sheriff for $5. 2) Take a NRA Basic Pistol Course, Borrow a pistol from a friend for the shooting portion. 3) Take a combined Nebraska & Utah Concealed Carry Class. Borrow a pistol if you haven't already done so for the shooting portion. Now you will have been introduced to the basics of "Use of Deadly Force",  consideration of people and objects in the background, penetration of walls, etc. You will have the ability to defend yourself and others away from home, if you choose to do so. You will have been introduced to more sources of information that you may fine necessary!!  Good Luck!!
WØCHF

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:42:12 AM »
So I have a question for everyone, as I "still" have yet to purchase my 1st firearm,

You have this right. Nobody can stop at one. ;D

my choice for a pistol would be a 9mm because of the readily available ammo,

Yes, 9mm is a great first caliber.

My first center fire handgun was a 40 s&w and I ended up regretting it.

Truth is, after a ton of research, you  probably will find new reasons that you hadn't thought of for a "better" choice. I was going to buy a Springfield XD after doing a lot of research. When I went to buy it, I ended up not liking how it felt in my hand. I ended up getting an FNX, which I liked because of single/double action, ambi controls and 3 magazines.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
After renting 3 different semi automatics I bought a  .38 special revolver.   Had I known about mag speed loaders I would probably have gotten a .22 pistol. Since I'm mostly shooting at paper targets.

If I had to I could defend myself with the revolver.   If I can't stop a house breaker with 6 rounds then I can hit him over the head with it since its made of steel not plastic. Most likely I won't have to do either.

I have a small collection of knives and swords. I was into collecting blades years ago. I should probably try to sell them to pay for more guns or ammo.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

CC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
Greybeard- great advice.

Offline CustomSatellite

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »

I was trained on a Beretta 92FS because that's what we were issued. I always pulled every first qual double action shot because my finger was too short to reach the trigger and I had to roll my hand around the grip to reach it. I bought a Beretta 96 thinking I was trained to shoot the 92 and the 40 was a superior round in the early 90s. I wasn't as proficient with the 96 but still shot it OK. It wasn't until a range officer a few years later watched how I shot the 96 and handed me a glock 22. I used it to qualify and until a year ago, never looked back. I started shooting and loading 9mm a year ago because my wife requested it and started shooting and subsequently carrying a glock 19. I can shoot the g22 fast and very accurately but I shoot the 19 even better which amazed me. I sold the Beretta to buy my own g22 and just bought another 96 a couple months ago because I still consider it a fine weapon. Guess what.....my fingers are still too short so it won't be a carry gun but it is fun to shoot. Bottom line is to pay attention to what fits and is comfortable to shoot. You will shoot it more and be more proficient. I love the 40 but it's obviously not for everyone. I also handload so it is easier on my pocketbook.

Offline cz75shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
So I have a question for everyone, as I "still" have yet to purchase my 1st firearm, (because I want to make sure I get the correct one) I am in debate as to what I want, a revolver or a semi-automatic pistol.

I like revolvers, but for a first gun I'd go one of two ways:

1) .22 caliber pistol (Ruger Mk III/IV, or something fun but less accurate/reliable like SR-22), followed by a second handgun in a proper defensive caliber. A .22 is a great way to learn to shoot with relatively cheap ammo, and you can focus on fundamentals with a gun that's not intimidating and less likely to make you develop a flinch reflex.

2) 9mm handgun. If you're really going to own just one gun, it should be a 9mm. 9mm is an effective defensive round, but a lot easier to control than other popular calibers like .40 and .45. It's not as cheap as .22, but it's still cheap enough to shoot a lot for practice.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »
I appreciate pistols too, but the usual "pistol versus revolver" forum thread counterpoint that "revolvers can jam too!" is malarkey. A good, clean revolver sitting in the bedside table and loaded with quality ammo is going to fire its six, seven or eight rounds without jamming. Maybe your probability of a revolver jam in that situation is one in many thousands.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:30 AM »
If there are any ranges that rent guns near you, go there and try several out.  If you can make a Glock 17 (9mm) or a Smith M&P v2.0 in 9mm work for you, great!  Revos are more difficult to shoot accurately in DA mode (the way you SHOULD be shooting them in an SD situation).  Shooting a DA revo accurately certainly can be done, but takes much more practice IMHO. 

Double stack guns like the Glock sometimes are an issue for folks with smallish hands.  Handle, rent and shoot as many models/manufacturers as you can before purchasing.

No one can predict how many rounds one may need to finish a fight.  If six are good, 17 are better.

9mm is certainly adequate if you can place the rounds properly, which is true of ANY common SD caliber.

Then once you have purchased the firearm that you can operate comfortably, i.e., reach the trigger and mag catch without all kinds of contortions, seek training on how to shoot it well, how to manipulate the gun (reloads, draw technique, use of lights, malfunction clearance, etc) and legal aspects of using lethal force. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
BigD75, If'n you are in the Lincoln area- PM me and we can meet up I'll run you thru a quick basic handgun course, shoot some guns, shoot some bull, .  All I ask- You cover your range fee, maybe some ammo, and throw a free will donation to the NFOA. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:52:23 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
BigD75, If'n you are in the Lincoln area- PM me and we can meet up I'll run you thru a quick basic handgun course, shoot some guns, shoot some bull, .  You cover your range fee, maybe some ammo, and throw a free will donation to the NFOA.

This is a damn good offer.  I would definitely take advantage of it, even if I had to drive a ways. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.