< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Firearm (handgun brands)  (Read 1913 times)

Offline BigD75

• NFOA Full Member
Firearm (handgun brands)
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
So as a first timer, new to handguns, there are sooo many different brands out there, aside from comfort and feel/fit, what brand do I choose, I'm looking for the most reliable-(if there is such a thing) and also the easiest to disassemble and clean...(again if there is such a thing).  This would be for home protection/personal defense and also target shooting/practice at the gun range.  I do understand people have their favorites such as glock or ruger, smith and wesson, but which is the right brand for me.  Also one thing I should mention is, I would be getting a 9mm.  Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Firearm (handgun brands)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
Here we go, Ford or Chevy lol.  In no particular order, Glock, Sig, HK, S&W M&P series, Springfield, can't really go wrong with any of these just need to handle and shoot many different models as you can.  What works and feels the best for me might not work for you and vice versa.  Tons of info out there, Youtube is your friend, although be aware there are fanboys out there that aren't too objective.  Most semi-autos these days are very reliable with a wide range of ammo types. There are a few I'd stay away from but I don't want my personal prejudice to influence you i.e. see above about finding what works for you. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand.  I own at least one of virtually every major brand on the market.  As Les said, you can't go too far wrong with any of the major manufacturers.  Of course, that doesn't help you much in your brand decision but it allows you to focus on the feel/fit.

I'd start with something relatively inexpensive.  No custom 1911's or similar.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
I'm a novice but seems to me easiest to clean is a revolver because you don't have to disassemble it. They're also less likely to jam.

For budget handguns Taurus.  Nothing wrong with my Taurus .38 special. 
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
Let me be the first to recommend Glock, preferably the subcompact 9 (designated the Glock 26).  Or the single stack Glock 43 if you want a slimmer design (and lower magazine capacity).  Easy to disassemble for cleaning.  Tough.  Reliable.  And very common, because it's an excellent pistol. 

Some might recommend against the 26 because the bigger ones are probably easier to shoot for a beginner.  But I think you can learn to shoot this one just fine.  If you are certain that you will never want to carry your pistol concealed, you might want one of the bigger Glock 9s (they can be carried concealed too, and often are, but the little one is the easiest to conceal). 

I don't own any stock in Glock Inc. by the way.  I just think Glock is the best pistol made. 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Although there are some brands that you should probably stay away from unless you just can't afford anything else, Jimenez for example, I would rule out brand recognition in favor of fit and feel in your hand.

You need to decide a few things to determine what to purchase:

1) What caliber fits you? Things like cost, weight, and effectiveness should figure into this. Although I whole heartedly agree that a .45 will make a bigger impact than a 9mm I am sure we can also agree that packing 17 rounds of 9mm is much easier than 17 rounds of .45. Also, something I looked at in determining my choices was the availability of the ammo. 9mm and .45 are much easier to find than 10mm when ammo is scarce.

2) How are you planning to carry it and how will you use it? If you dress in a t-shirt and jeans every day you will carry differently than if you wear a suit. You may have to pick a sub-compact because of concealment issues, or a full size that has more rounds and more mass because you will be out in the field and have to worry about running into a "pack of mountain lions". Maybe you find a revolver works better for you than a semi-auto because of ease of use or lack thereof.

3) How does it fit in your hand and feel when you hold it? The best gun in the world is worthless to you if you won't carry it because it is not comfortable when you hold it. Take the time to try out guns and see how they feel for you. If you have friends that also have firearms ask if you can hold theirs. Seek out a good quality instructor, there are many on this site, to help you understand what is a good way to handle the firearm and how it should feel in your hand.

4) Understand that the first gun you buy is probably not going to be the last, nor will it be your favorite down the road. Ask most any gun owner and they will tell you they loved that first gun they bought when they first bought it and then they started to better understand how it felt and operated and started looking for something better. The "something better" process never ends, honestly. Additionally, every gun fits certain situations better than others, but no gun is best for ALL situations. I have a compact and a full size. The full size is my winter and jacket carry and the compact is my no jacket, lighter clothes carry gun.

5) What can you afford? Not everyone can start out with a $1100 gun for their first. Mine was $300 and I still have it. It is not my go to for carry, but I still have it. I have since spent more on other guns, but I still have the first... for now.

This is a process and one that never really ends. Even the best gun owners out there will tell you, if they are being totally honest, that they still haven't found that "perfect gun". Take your time and purchase what is best for you at that time.

I am sure others can add to this list and better explain what I have said here, but I hope it helps. Just remember that you still have to find a holster as well.  ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
Main thing is DON'T cheap out.

Jimenez, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, Diamondback, Rossi, etc..... STAY AWAY FROM THEM like the plague.   Sure maybe there are some good specimens out there but put the odds in your favor and go with a name brand.

It blows my mind that people will spend $250 on a Diamondback because a $299 Walther Creed or Ruger 9E is somehow "too expensive".

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
In no particular order, Glock, Sig, HK, S&W M&P series, Springfield, can't really go wrong with any of these....
Add Beretta, Browning, Colt, CZ, FN, Ruger and Walther to the list of safe choices.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »
Also, don't be afraid to look for a used one. Just beware that some people think used guns are worth more than new price, lol. Don't be afraid of police trade in guns, though they are usually in .40 S&W right now. I buy them and get conversion barrels in 9mm and/ or .357 sig.  :D

One thing to consider is that guns carried by LEO, or military will have more options and better prices for accessories like holsters and extra mags, including extended mags. That is the biggest reason for me to buy Glock. I prefer M&Ps, though.

Offline LatinoHunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »
I have friends in law enforcement that recommended the Glock 19 as my first gun, however price wise it was too much. I ended up buying a S&W SD9 VE, which comes with 2 magazines (16+1) and it was $341. Very easy to take apart and clean. I have shot it many times and it's very easy to control and not much recoil.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »
I agree with the recommended brands (and the not recommended ones). I'd go with at least a mid sized handgun at a minimum. If you don't plan on carrying it concealed, you don't need a small one and they can be less fun to shoot (they aren't designed for extended range time).
Some features to consider: Do you want a manual safety? That could be a plus is you have kids around. That would eliminate Glocks and several others. Springfield XDs have a grip safety that some people like (I like the feature but I don't own one). What kind of sights would you like? Do you want a rail? (several of mine have rails but I don't use them)
When you are handling some at you local gun stores, bring them up into firing position and see if it points naturally for you. Depending on your hands and the guns grip, some will point better than others for you.

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:33 PM »
I was in a similar position to you a bit over a year ago.  I went to a local dealer and picked up and handled several different pistols.

I ended up with a Walther PPQ - because it felt right in my hand.  A year later and a few 1000 rounds later I am happy with my choice. I bought a PPS (single stack Walther) to sit next it it. 

I've been to the range with several other brands and they all did well (even by brother-inlaw's HiPoint) but none felt as good as the Walther in my hands.  Springfield and H&K were "good" in my hands - Glock felt totally wrong to me, though it was a strong contender for me because of all the recommendations. Glock does not fit my hands properly.

Any, the only real advice I'd offer (as a fellow new gun owner) is go to one of the bigger gun counters and try a bunch pistols in your hands.
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
I was in a similar position to you a bit over a year ago.  I went to a local dealer and picked up and handled several different pistols.
Same here. More than one dealer and several gun shows.

I ended up with a Walther PPQ - because it felt right in my hand.
My choice was a ported Performance Center S&W M&P for the same reason.

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
I own multiple brands and as long as you don't go cheap, you should be GtG. There are some great deals out there now. As the poster above says, go and see what you like and do some research on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »
Main thing is DON'T cheap out.

Jimenez, Taurus, Hi Point, Bersa, Diamondback, Rossi, etc..... STAY AWAY FROM THEM like the plague.   Sure maybe there are some good specimens out there but put the odds in your favor and go with a name brand.

It blows my mind that people will spend $250 on a Diamondback because a $299 Walther Creed or Ruger 9E is somehow "too expensive".

I have two Taurus guns and although I have had problems with the one, pretty much all caused by my inexperience, the other is a great gun so I don't know that I would throw them out.

Heck, I am looking at the PT111 for my next compact.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »
i all so have two Taurus a pt 99 and a 357 revolver got mine back in 88 or 89 while stationed in cal. never an issue with either
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Kurt K

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
Among the major, quality brands, all are reliable, and most of the 9mm polymer guns are easy to clean.  I agree with what others here have said, but I'd throw in two more factors: price and customer support.  Go to the Facebook page for the manufacturer, and if you see lots of angry customers, move on.

Guns go on sale all the time, and I'd take a look at http://gun.deals to see if there are any sales or rebates.