< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: MRE (meals ready to eat)  (Read 3474 times)

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
MRE (meals ready to eat)
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:10:06 PM »
has anyone ever gotten sick or heard of any bad experiences from eating mre,s. i have suffered from severe migraines in the past. certain foods and chemicals cause them. so i was wandering whether or not i should stock up on them.  ???
we dont shoot to kill, we shoot to stay alive

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: MRE (meals ready to eat)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
Well one fateful weekend I had the misfortune of eating them for 3 meals in a row.  Lunch, Dinner, Lunch next day. 

They tasted fine to me I enjoyed eating them. 

Let just say they did not enjoy my latter half of my digestive tract. 

I think with some *additives* of some sort it would of been a fine experience.

No headaches or any other ill effects that I can remember.
N0ZXR

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
thanks for the imput. if digestive problems are the only thing i encountered id be happy. i think i will stock up on a few and save them for a last last resort :)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
These are supposed to be available at Costco: http://www.readymeal.com/

I've heard both good and bad reviews of them, but have not tried them myself.  May have a bit more variety then regular MRE's.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
awesome! i will look into those. if i end up tryin one of them i let ya know how they are. :)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
have you  tried tactical bacon?  it comes in a can with like 50 slices of precooked bacon.  it has a 10 year shelf life.  ive heard good things about it.  i have a couple of cans, but haven't opened them up.  just google it and you can find stuff about it.

but for MRE's, ive had no problems with mine.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
Check out TheEpicenter.com. They have a few different brands of MREs, also freeze dried/dehydrated food and a few other items for those with preperation on their minds.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:21:03 AM by justsomeguy »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
I have had extensive experience LIVING on MREs ..... though it was years back (late 80's to mid 90's).  They may be different now, but the basic idea is the same: Shelf stable 2000 calorie meals that don't NEED any preparation (though it helps) sufficient to keep a young active soldier killing other young active soldiers.  6,000 calories a day is a pretty rich diet- if your metabolism isn't "eating" what you are..... could be trouble..... if you are sedentary, 1 MRE will keep you going, but you will feel hungry.

A lot of the stuff is (or was- I am speaking of MREs I ate) dehydrated, either completely or partially.  The crackers were a belly filling miracle ..... and a money maker for unscrupulous  >:D old salts:  find some noob and bet them $50 that they can't eat a pack of MRE crackers in 5 minutes :-X.   

Another thing that may be causing your gastro-intestinal distress is that you are not drinking enough water and or getting enough/too much fiber. (If you only eat only the peanut butter and crackers, you will bind your colon up to to medical emergency level......)
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »
I just opened up some 10-year old MREs... the peanut butter, veggie crackers, & poppy seed cake was OK, but the jalapeno cheese spread... I wouldn't have dared to touch the other stuff if I opened that one first.

Not sure if I want to open the pork patty.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:29:21 PM »
We referred to the dehydrated beef and pork patties as "Track Pads", because they were about that tough, and just as tasty....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline I'llSeeYouOnTheBattlefield

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
A few years ago there was a recall on the mres that has the shakes and coco powder,I ate them all the time in boot camp and tech school and was fine.Maybe you just got a lemon.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:10:34 AM »
I have heard MRE's are "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"

I went through the Corps with C Rations so never had the luxury meals  :)

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
I've had both. I prefer the C Rats.
WØCHF