< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ar-15 cleaning question  (Read 3358 times)

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
ar-15 cleaning question
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:42:18 PM »
i recently read in a magazine article that it is possible to damage the rifiling and barrel crown of an ar-15 by using a cleaning rod WITHOUT a chamber guide. is this true? if so, how can i tell if i did damage to my ar. because ive cleaned mine several times without using a chamber guide
we dont shoot to kill, we shoot to stay alive

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: ar-15 cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
Do you clean from the chamber end or the muzzle end?

If you clean from the muzzle end and by several you mean 4 or 5, I think you'll be just fine.  If you mean hundreds of times, well, you may not be just fine.

What do you use for a cleaning rod?  Is it steel, aluminum, or coated?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
ive probably cleaned about 50 times. owned it a little over a year. mayby put a 1000 or so rounds thru it. i have gone through both  the muzzle and chamber. my cleaning rod is either brass or plated aluminum, cant really tell

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
You're probably ok.  If the accuracy has not changed, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Always clean from the chamber end when possible(hard to do with a lot of .22's and semi-autos, levers and pumps). 
A chamber guide is nice to have I suppose, but certainly not a necessity.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
More barrels are damaged  with cleaning rods than by shooting.

Use a Boresnake  and CLP on my AR15's after each range session, but I only really clean the barrel with a copper solvent every 1000 rounds or so, and I use a coated Dewey rod and only enter from the chamber.

No notable changes in accuracy after 1000 rounds down the pipe without a cleaning on my 18" RRA non chrome lined 1x9 barrel.

I just recently cleaned it with a foaming bore cleaner and copper remover...nothing blue on the patches... maybe I am just lucky
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
thanks dan. the only thing still kinda worrying me is at 200 yrds i can only hold about a 3 inch sporratic group. i am using a 16 power mill dot scope. i cant tell if my heavy factory trigger is to blame or if i screwed up my barrel. or mayby im worrying about it too much ???

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
2 inches @ 200 yards is 1 minute of angle (MOA) and is pretty good shootin'.

I have a tough time holding 1 inch @ 100 yards, but the problem is not the rifle...
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
thanks dan. the only thing still kinda worrying me is at 200 yrds i can only hold about a 3 inch sporratic group. i am using a 16 power mill dot scope. i cant tell if my heavy factory trigger is to blame or if i screwed up my barrel. or mayby im worrying about it too much ???

Do you have prior groupings to compare it to?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:33 PM »
Ammo, trigger, breathing, barrel free-floated or not, many variables there. 
3" at 200 yards isn't too bad, but I suspect you could do a couple things to improve it a bit.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:53:16 PM »
when i first sighted the rifle in, i brought the elevation down. the bullet impacts made a dead straight line down. then i did the windage. same thing. dead straight line to the left. that was at 100 yrds. i dont know if i could get it to repeat like that again. i think im worrying bout too much. its gettin a timmney and floating hand gaurd with my tax return. if that dosent tighten my group then i will look at my barrel

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:28 PM »
Ya see it's those damn FLYERS

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:12:18 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »
Show off!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
Hardly... that's the only good group I have ever shot
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »

One thing to consider when shooting at distances over 100yards is bullet weight. The faster twist barrels (1 in 9, 1-7) need heavier bullets to shoot accurately. 55 gr fmjs in my heavy barrel 1 in 9 twist barely hold 1 1/2' at 100 yrds. a 68 gr HP in the same barrel will shoot one hole 3 shot groups all day on my good days.

If I wanted accuracy I would try a heavier bullet. Granted some of the cartridges loaded with heavier bullets may be to long to function in the AR platform, but the middle range weights of 60, 62gr should be a good compromise for better accuracy.

It has been my experience in my .223/5.56's that the 45 and 50 gr bullets are about useless for long range accuracy. Your mileage may vary.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM