< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Moved from Iowa to Nebraska(Sarpy). I'm also kind of a noob. Help?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline JRoc

• Forum Member
4 years ago I moved to Sarpy County from Pott county, IA. Shortly before I moved I purchased a handgun and a 5-year permit. My handgun has been stashed away in a safe I've barely touched since. I'd like to do what I can to legally possess it in Nebraska. What must I do? Do I need to simply purchase a new permit in Sarpy county? Or register my handgun? Or both? Basically, what steps should I take to legally possess my handgun in Sarpy county that I purchased across the river?

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Moved from Iowa to Nebraska(Sarpy). I'm also kind of a noob. Help?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
This is still America, where we don't have to ask permission or kiss boots to own guns.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Merl

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
4 years ago I moved to Sarpy County from Pott county, IA. Shortly before I moved I purchased a handgun and a 5-year permit. My handgun has been stashed away in a safe I've barely touched since. I'd like to do what I can to legally possess it in Nebraska. What must I do? Do I need to simply purchase a new permit in Sarpy county? Or register my handgun? Or both? Basically, what steps should I take to legally possess my handgun in Sarpy county that I purchased across the river?

You do not have to do anything to own it, or carry it open carry on your hip.  To conceal carry you would need to get a CHP permit.  Nebraska is an open carry state except in Omaha and Blair. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
You must do one thing:
PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS:
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
No worries, take a deep breath.  You're with friends.   8)

Offline JRoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies. Time to dust it off.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
If you are just going to keep it at home, you don't need to do anything.

If you want to take it off your property, you would be wise to obtain a Nebraska concealed handgun permit (CHP). Even if you don't intend to carry concealed, a CHP has significant advantages. It's somewhat expensive and time consuming but not at all difficult. Your Iowa permit is no longer valid since you are a Nebraska resident.

According to a recent decision by the Nebraska Supreme Court, a firearm inside the passenger compartment of a vehicle is considered to be concealed unless it is in plain sight or is unloaded inside a locked box. This is a problem if you drive a van, SUV, hatchback or pickup that doesn't have an inaccessible trunk. After you get your CHP, be careful about leaving your firearm in your vehicle even briefly. If none of the other passengers holds a CHP, they are guilty of carrying concealed illegally.

When buying firearms from licensed dealers (FFL), CHP holders are exempt from the NICS check.

Unless you hold a CHP, you need a "handgun certificate", issued by your county sheriff, to take possession of a handgun. Other exceptions to the certificate requirement are that the donor is a member of your immediate family, you remain within view of the donor, or you remain on the premises of the range from which you rented it.

CHP holders are exempt from Omaha's handgun registration ordinance. Everyone else needs to register before bringing the gun across city limits. This even applies to an unloaded handgun in a car trunk.

"No Guns" signs have the force of law in Nebraska. Carrying past one is legally the same as carrying concealed without a CHP. First offense is a misdemeanor; second is a felony.

Offline Laufen

• Post approval required
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies. Time to dust it off.
Invest in some training, and best of luck.