< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: im a ccw Iowa resident , do I have to get guns regist. in Omaha still??  (Read 2535 times)

Offline motorcyclemike64

• Forum Member
Hey guys, i have been searching alot about Omaha ne and have been getting mixed answers about if i have to go get my guns registered with the police department there in order to ccw there with my ia ccw??  i know that i think that the law says that i can but would anyone close to ne do it and feel comfortable if they were stopped?? i called the ne state patrol a couple of days ago they said that ne honoured our ia ccw but that i would have to call the city of omaha police dept to get info on omaha specifically. i did and they sounded sort of unsure but then told me that i definatly had to get my guns registered with omaha to carry legally.
   What should I do??    is this still omahas stand or did someone from the police dept just tell me that guessing

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/C...Final/LB430.

25 Sec. 5. Cities and villages shall not have the power
to regulate the ownership, possession, 1 or transportation of a
2 concealed handgun, as such ownership, possession, or transportation
3 is authorized under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act, except as
4 expressly provided by state law. Any existing city or village
5 ordinance, permit, or regulation regulating the ownership,
6 possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun, as such
7 ownership, possession, or transportation is authorized under the
8 act, is declared to be null and void as against any permitholder
9 possessing a valid permit under the act.

This sounds very clear cut

Offline motorcyclemike64

• Forum Member
Re: im a ccw Iowa resident , do I have to get guns regist. in Omaha still??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:43:45 AM »
PS also i have seen some of the post on this aleady but only wonering if anythings changed yet?

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:03:33 AM »
You have to registor your handgun only if you live in Omaha.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:30:50 AM »
You would be carrying under the Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit Act which recognizes your Iowa permit.  The state has preempted city law in this area.  But as you have already seen the local police ect. don't know or understand the law, so you could get hasseled.  My suggestion, which is what I do, follow the laws of the State and be prepared to need to get things streightened out with the legal forces in Omaha if it comes to it.

I am a Omaha resident with CCW and ocassionally open carry in Omaha, keep looking to the day that I get questioned; so far it has been completely ignored.

Also see this thread that has information that applies, and shows how muddy the water is: http://www.nebraskafirepower.com/forum/index.php?topic=1608.msg13252;topicseen#msg13252.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:22:22 AM by AAllen »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
I can understand your apprehension, but I personally refuse to register, and I feel that the new law makes Omaha's stance illegal and unenforceable.

Maybe I'll get a big fat check in the settlement for my lawsuit >:D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:24:34 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »
Is there any precedent for OPD to check the serial number of a carried gun?

It seems in CA cities, the police are allowed to check that it's unloaded but can't check the serial number. 4th/5th Amendment?

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
After July 14th Omaha's requirement that any concealable weapon be registered if it's inside city limits goes away courtesy of LB 817!

Earnie Chambers must be wanting to sue God again, may Mr Chambers slip and fall on a pile of dog sh_t.

Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!