< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln ordinance interpretation  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
Lincoln ordinance interpretation
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
9.36.050 Discharge of Weapons and Other Instruments Unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any person, except as provided in this chapter, to fire or discharge,
within the corporate limits, or on any property of the City of Lincoln outside of the corporate limits,
any air rifle, toy pistol, toy gun, slingshot, or any other air, gas, or spring operated gun, weapon,
apparatus, or instrument for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means
whatsoever in such a manner as to endanger the safety of persons or property, whether the
instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name. (Ord. 15625 §5; July 9,
1990: P.C. §9.28.040: Ord. 9382 §2; January 22, 1968: prior Ord. 3489 §9-103; July 6, 1936).

So does this mean shooting a pellet gun in your backyard is legal as long as it's being done safely?   Who decides what's safe?  Omaha's ordinance is much less ambiguous and states that the projectile must not leave your property.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Lincoln ordinance interpretation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »
 in such a manner as to endanger the safety of persons or property

if your not shooting it at a person or shooting out windows then as i read it you should be fine but i am not a lawyer lol
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
As folks have been ticketed for Bow and Arrow in their Privacy Fenced back yard, and a couple teens got busted for Airsoft, I wouldn't risk it. BUT do voice your concern to your city council member.  Cyndi Lamm has looked into it and believes it goes too far and would like to change many of these ordinances, but needs support and traction to get started.  (She prayed that Statewide Preemption would pass- would make it easier ;) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
If in doubt I'd contact the City Attorney, but doubt you'd like the answer.  The way I've always interpreted that ordinance was no go to any of the above.  But I'm sure others will be by soon that are more qualified to comment than I.  Although years ago I knew bow hunters that would stand by the street in front of their house and shoot into their garage.  Glad I'm not in the city proper.  :P

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
I've always assumed the same thing.

If someone told me pellet guns are illegal in town, I'd say that sucks but makes sense.  Now if you tell me Nerf guns are also illegal I'd call BS.

It appears the city does not differentiate between the two and allows for discretion by law enforcement which always makes me uneasy.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »
Agreed, it's written as broad as possible, very similar to Omaha's ordinances. 

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
 A law written by lawyers. to be figured out by lawyers, and un readable for the general public to understand
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:29:54 PM »
You know there is no Constitutional right to breathe air.  So why not just outlaw breathing air and then let the police have discretion over when to enforce the law.  They could protect us real good then.

The Declaration of Independence does make reference to a right to life, which you'd think would include breathing air, but that right is not codified in the Constitution.  So there is nothing I can see stopping our caring big brothers and sisters on the Lincoln City Council from protecting its citizens by giving the police this important tool.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.