< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ben Nelson tries to repair damage at home  (Read 3270 times)

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Ben Nelson tries to repair damage at home
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 08:01:49 AM »
Hey Ben,
 Martha Coakley called and said "thanks alot Ben, when the people of Mass heard about the Nebraska buyoff, that's when things went south".
I hope Nelson spends all his campaign cash and the Nebr. Dem. partys money to employ more Nebraskans.
Cause he's throwing money down a rathole, he should be moving into!!

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline tferguson714

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »
My theory (and it's just my theory) is that Ben was offered/took the Medicaid deal knowing it wouldn't pass muster. It was just a way for him to justify voting for the bill without admitting he's caving in to party pressure. I would guess that he knew all along it would get thrown out. He may have seen it as extra credit points that he asked to have it withdrawn.

That's the face of it. I would be willing to bet that Obama/Reid assured him that in exchange for his vote there would be a promise that he'd be "taken care of" in the event that he lost his seat in the next election. This could come in the form of an appointment to some obscure panel or committe that would just be an excuse to keep him on the gov't dole until he retires comfortably courtesy of you & me.

A sorry possibility is that Nelson could still get re elected. Voters can have a short memory, and Nelson seems to have a folksy charm that wins over a lot of people (I don't understand it myself).

On a related note, I do believe that we'll see some real razzle dazzle in the coming weeks to either try to get this mess jammed down our throats before Brown is seated or to have the house approve the Senate version of the bill so that it won't have to go back for another Senate vote.

If it should go back to the Senate, I want to see how Ben votes with his Medicaid deal off the table and the abortion language virtually unchanged.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:24:42 AM by tferguson714 »

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Since the Mass. election I wonder if Ex-senator Nelson feels anything slipping.
Poor Man
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline tferguson714

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
Since the Mass. election I wonder if Ex-senator Nelson feels anything slipping.
Poor Man
My guess would be no. These guys live and die by having a voting record they can point to, not whether anything actually gets accomplished. He can point out that he "did what he thought was best for Nebraskans". Sometimes being on the losing side of a vote is the best position. Then when there is ANY hitch in the road, they can point out that "if only things had gone their way..."

And I stand by what I said. I think Nelson struck a deal with the devil and will be taken care of no matter what.

Unless, of course, Obama/Reid welsh on their deal (again, just my theory). What are the odds?

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
I noticed that Ben Nelson's choice for jurist, Sonia Sotomayer, voted with the dissenting members of the Supreme Court with regard to overturning the part of the McCain-Finegold probition on free speech regarding opinions expressed 30 - 60 days before elections, a prime example of abridgment of freedom of speech, and the First Amendment.
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 01:18:56 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »
That is great, yes he needs to go.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
Ben can run but he can't hide.
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein