< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ben Nelson tries to repair damage at home  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Ben Nelson tries to repair damage at home
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31488.html

By MANU RAJU | 1/14/10 4:55 AM EST

Demonstrators hold signs in Nebraska.
    Sen. Ben Nelson is facing major blowback in Nebraska over his decision not to block the health-care bill. Photo: AP

Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson and his wife were leaving dinner at a new pizza joint near their home in Omaha one night last week when a patron began complaining about Nelson?s decisive vote in favor of the Senate?s health care bill.

Other customers started booing. A woman yelled, ?Get him the hell out of here!? And the Nelsons and their dining companions beat a hasty retreat.

?It was definitely a scene in there,? said Tom Lewis, a 41-year-old dentist and registered Republican who witnessed the incident. A second witness confirmed the incident to POLITICO.

It?s a new experience for Nelson.

He used to be a popular figure back home, a Democrat who served eight years in the governor?s office and was elected twice to the Senate by a state that?s as red as the ?N? on the University of Nebraska's football helmets.

But Nelson has seen his approval ratings tumble in the wake of his wavering over the historic health care bill, his deal-cutting with other Senate Democrats and, ultimately, his support to break a GOP filibuster and send the bill to a House-Senate conference committee.

Nelson, who has a track record of brokering bipartisan deals, said for months that he was unsure whether to back a Democrats-only bill, and he criticized language in the measure that would impose taxes and cut Medicare costs in order to pay for extending coverage to most Americans. But after weeks of negotiations, Nelson made his peace with the bill by striking deals on his state?s Medicaid costs and on abortion language ? and, in the process, incited a furious backlash in Nebraska.

Anti-abortion activists who have supported him in the past have abandoned him; he?s been the target of a fierce campaign by opponents to push him to block the bill on final passage; and the GOP now sees the opportunity for a pickup in 2012.

Meantime, Nelson is still viewed warily by more-liberal Democrats who distrust his conservative leanings and remain upset with his opposition to a public option.

?He?s kind of a man without a state,? said Julie Schmit-Albin, executive director of Nebraska Right to Life, an influential anti-abortion group that had endorsed Nelson?s previous election bids but has ?pretty much cut [its] ties? with the senator over the abortion deal in the health care bill. The group plans a rally Jan. 30 in front of the state Capitol in Lincoln and will weigh whether to use its influence to go after Nelson ahead of 2012, when he is up for a third term.

The state Republican Party has set up a website calling for voters to eject Nelson from office, and it has already raised ?tens of thousands of dollars? for advertising, according to Mark Fahleson, chairman of the state party.

And Democrats in Washington worry that the pressure may cause Nelson to defect in the end, particularly since the senator ? once again ? has made clear that his final vote on the bill is not guaranteed.

Nelson, who declined requests for an interview, is responding to the blowback with a major effort to reverse public opinion, criss-crossing the state county by county and holding interviews with a slew of local newspapers and TV and radio stations. He has explained his vote and the deals he made in several newspaper op-eds, held a news conference outside his home in Omaha and made a ?sizable number? of calls to individual voters who have written him to express their concerns, according to his spokesman.

Nelson argues that the bill would lower premiums and address the worst insurance company abuses, and he defends the deal he struck on abortion, saying it wouldn?t allow federal dollars to be used on the procedure. He?s also said that he?s working to give all states the benefit of the deal he struck that exempts Nebraska from its new costs under Medicaid after 2017.

The state?s Democratic Party helped bankroll an ad campaign, which began running during the University of Nebraska football team?s appearance in the Holiday Bowl. In the ads Nelson says he was ?convinced this is right for Nebraska.? A spokesman for the state party did not return a telephone call.

In addition, Nelson has gone to battle with opposing politicians ? pushing back against criticism from California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and 13 Republican attorneys general who have threatened to file a lawsuit arguing that the Medicare deal in the health care bill is unconstitutional.

And he has criticized his own party as well. In an interview with Nebraska?s Freemont Tribune, Nelson said it was a ?mistake to take health care on as opposed to continuing to spend the time on the economy? ? an unusual move for a senator who usually shies away from openly criticizing his party?s leadership.

Jake Thompson, the senator?s spokesman, downplayed his comments to the Tribune, saying that Nelson was not trying to criticize President Barack Obama or the Senate Democratic leadership but was being more of an ?armchair quarterback? when asked about the year?s legislative work.

Asked about the incident at the pizza joint, Thompson said: ?If somebody yelled that comment, Sen. Nelson didn?t hear it, and he did hear positive comments from others in the restaurant.?

Thompson also said that ?many Nebraskans have thanked Sen. Nelson through phone calls, letters and e-mails for supporting health reform because they know its improvements will help their lives.?

Thompson said Nelson was recently thanked by a man in an Omaha store wearing camouflage clothing, a neighbor who was liquidating investment funds to pay medical bills, a group of diabetic children and a woman in a restaurant.

?On the other side, indeed, there are Nebraskans who do disagree with his vote on health care ? some don?t like the bill, some have been misled about what?s in it, some don?t want health reform now, and some disagree for political reasons,? Thompson said. ?On balance, Sen. Nelson believes his support for health reform will stand the test of time.?

David Di Martino, a former Nelson aide and now a Washington-based consultant, said that the millions of dollars? worth of TV ads that doused the state at the end of the year helped shape public opinion ? and that, ultimately, anger will subside once people start seeing the benefits of the bill. And he added that, throughout his career, the senator has made a political comeback when pundits ruled him out.

?He?s got a record of coming back and being successful,? Di Martino said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31488_Page2.html#ixzz0cdb59APe

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Ben Nelson tries to repair damage at home
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Huskergun, did you enjoy the pizza? We know it was you.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
Nelson is a corrupt jackass. He stated (in today's OWH) "that 9 out of 10 constituents he's encountered have expressed support for his decision"

REALLY!?! Either he's a bold liar or hasn't talked to anyone outside his family & staff.....I'm going to vote for the former. I hope he has the good sense to at least retire rather then lose in a LANDSLIDE to Heineman in 2012.  
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:33:35 PM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Nelson is a corrupt jackass. He stated (in today's OWH)

I would say that lousy -asterd deserves a lynching and it wouldn't bother if they used his puppet strings.....But I guess thats just me...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:53:22 PM by A-FIXER »

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »
 If you agree with him then he believes that that is the true voice of Nebraskans. If you don't agree with him then you are just a right wing hack from out of state. Ben is going to get a big surprise come election day.
 I believe that Ben should be charged with bribery. Plain and simple. These kind of backdooor deals have got to stop.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:07:46 AM »
He's trying to flip flop now:

http://new.khastv.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=19691&storytopic=4

He's claiming he never wanted a special deal for Nebraska in the first place.  What a load of BS.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »
No more hiding behind the "blue dog moderate" lable Ben. He has shown his true colors and the people see it. He is now scared and trying to save his job.
He is a two faced liar that does the bidding of his master (Harry Reid and Obama).
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
I heard somewhere his support was cut in half, how is that possible if 9 out of 10 of us agree with this?
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:27:43 PM »
I heard somewhere his support was cut in half, how is that possible if 9 out of 10 of us agree with this?

Makes you wonder who does his polling

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
I have noticed that the Omaha World herald has been attempting to quietly rehab Ben's image. After his 60th vote, I wrote to the public pulse, but of course wasn't published. The paper was printing comments 1/1 for him and against him, although I suspect that the unfavorables were the majority of letters received.
Lately the paper has been printing more pro Ben stuff that says how couragous he is. How does turning your back on the people who sent you to Washington make you couragous??
90% of the voters Nelson has talked to approve of his vote, what a laugh, come out to where real citizens live and you will hear the truth Benidict Nelson.
I am done with Ben and the World Herald.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »
Anyone know who paid for the space on the digital billboard near the Mart that simply says

"Harry-
  Thanks for the bribe
                  -Ben"
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."   -Daniel Boone

"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."   -Clint Eastwood

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
I do not and will not do business with the Word Herald. 

I filed for a trade name last year.  When you do that it needs to be published.  I inquired at the World Herald just to see what it would cost.  They wanted 3 times as much as the Daily Record.

Rod

A-FIXER

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
Ya know it would be great if us citizens could or would pass a law stating that members that have voted against the interest of it's people on a state and national level could and should have all of their retirement,health,endorsements benefits and endorsements TAKEN FROM THEM REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY TERMS THEY HAVE SERVED.... That's my 2cents....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
More laws are not the answer to anything
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Amen!  I hope that the Mass. senate race goes to Brown, maybe then we can get some good ol' fashioned gridlock in DC!!!
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
re: Ben Nelson-  Ben, ya cain't put the toothpaste back in the tube.   You screwed the taxpayers and now they are hollerin' (for your head!) ....... it's a damn near impossibilty to "unscrew" the taxpayer....... and "I didn't mean it to turn out like that." or "Sorry." don't fix it, You. Bastard.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
re: The Massachussetts Senate Race- Go, Scott, Go!  That is the only hope of "unscrewing" us, just a little bit .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:51 PM »
if Scott wins some delaying tactic will be employed so that the vote is done before he is seated.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:23:13 AM »
Just by the increase in Ben's TV commercials shows the fact that,
he is fearful of the outfall from his vote and costing him money.

I do not remember any other NE Senator with so many commercials trying to cover his rear.
This with two years left in his term.

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
Commercials are easy for Mr. Sleazy. We are paying for them!

I am looking for this petition, I'll sign it, not that bin Nelson will honor my request.

http://new.khastv.com/modules/news/article.php?storytopic=4&storyid=19710