< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: If you have any Anti 2nd  (Read 699 times)

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
If you have any Anti 2nd
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »

CC

Re: If you have any Anti 2nd
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:14 AM »
Disagree with this statement from article. “I am first responsible for my safety. Further, because I am able to be responsible for my safety, I have a duty as a good citizen to be prepared to protect others who cannot protect themselves.”

No, while I have a responsibility to defend my family and country, I do not have a responsibility to protect others who fail to prepare to protect themselves or when doing so may subject my family to financial ruin.

Granted, I am likely to try help others, but no, I have no responsibility to do it.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
Granted, I am likely to try help others, but no, I have no responsibility to do it.

You are on solid ground here.  According to the courts, neither do the police have any responsibility to protect anyone, either.

Some Googled references:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981) is an oft-quoted[2] District of Columbia Court of Appeals case that held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to citizens based on the public duty doctrine.

http://www.barneslawllp.com/police-not-responsible

In the 1989 landmark case of DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, the U.S. Supreme Court held that the failure by government workers to protect someone (even 4-year-old Joshua DeShaney) from physical violence or harm from another person. ...........Nevertheless, the Court found that the government had no affirmative duty to protect any person, even a child, from harm by another person. “

Then there's the Gonzales case.  (Y'all can look it up, y'all's selves.............)
=============================================
My Guess is that in time the Left Will Want to Make It a Crime to Protect Any Third Party IF Such Protection is Provided by Use of a Firearm.

[THAT Would be LeftyLogic, which is NOT like Real, Ordinary Logic.]

Careful:   It's Dangerous Out There.   And getting moreso.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:26:52 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »
I do not have a responsibility to protect others who fail to prepare to protect themselves or when doing so may subject my family to financial ruin.

And that's when they hit you with the "Good Neighbor Act" even if that's not what it was meant for. :o
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:41:42 PM »
I'd be very hesitant to pull the trigger on any one else's behalf.  Lots of issues to be aware of, not the least of which is the fact that things aren't always the way they appear. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Disagree with this statement from article. “I am first responsible for my safety. Further, because I am able to be responsible for my safety, I have a duty as a good citizen to be prepared to protect others who cannot protect themselves.”

No, while I have a responsibility to defend my family and country, I do not have a responsibility to protect others who fail to prepare to protect themselves or when doing so may subject my family to financial ruin.

I wasn't onboard with that part either.  Should be my choice not responsibility. 

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:23:44 PM »
And that's when they hit you with the "Good Neighbor Act" even if that's not what it was meant for. :o
What's the "Good Neighbor Act?" The comment that you quoted is valid.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »

It may be that they mean this in the sense of worse case scenario and laws are not much in play. In that case, I would have some, not very many, that I would protect. However, I don't have a duty to put myself in jeopardy for someone else. There are a few folks that think they can run to my house in a SHTF situation. I told them that they would be a threat to me and mine at that point and I would have to take that into serious consideration if ya know what I mean.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 08:18:25 PM »
I have had several people who, for one reason or another, know I carry and said that they were glad because it means I would be there to defend them.
I quickly pointed out that I am not anyone's champion other than my family and their personal well-being is their own responsibility and not mine. I said this very politely, of course. :D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan