< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: registering a handgun  (Read 2025 times)

Offline bczyz

• Forum Member
registering a handgun
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
Is it a felony if you don't register a pistol in Omaha? What if you bought one awhile ago and haven't had time to get to the opd station to register the gun? Do I just tell them that or tell them Ijust bought the gun from a private seller? I do have a handgun purchase permit and may have bought the gun outside of the city limits.(cabelas)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: registering a handgun
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
I am not a lawyer, and do not give legal advice.  I hope this will help you find the answer to your questions.

From the Omaha municipal codes here(chapter 20, article VII): http://library5.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=10945&doc_action=whatsnew

DIVISION 2.  FIREARM REGISTRATION

Sec. 20-251.  Required.
(a)   It shall be unlawful for any person to own, have possession of, or maintain control over any concealable firearm which has not been registered to said person with the chief of police in accordance with this division, except when such possession or control is with the knowledge and express consent of the person in whose name such concealable firearm is registered.
(b)   A corporation, including a body corporate created by Nebraska statute, may register a concealable firearm in its corporate name. However, the corporation may consent to a person possessing or controlling the corporation's registered concealable firearm only if that person:
(1)   Is a part-time or full-time employee of the corporation;
(2)   Is acting within the scope of his or her employment with the corporation; and,
(3)   Possesses a current identification card issued pursuant to section 20-208 upon satisfaction of the requirements of section 20-207.
(Code 1980, ? 20-251; Ord. No. 36045, ? 1, 9-24-02)

Sec. 20-252.  Confiscation of firearm upon conviction of violation.
As a part of the judgment of conviction of any person under this division, confiscation of a concealable firearm may be ordered by the court.
(Code 1980, ? 20-252)

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Violations of City Ordinances are misdemeanors, if you want to register a firearm that you have not I would just take it in and if they ask tell them that even though I have owned the gun for a while I?m just bringing it into the city.  If the firearm was never in the city before you have not violated the law.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:15:10 PM by AAllen »

Offline bczyz

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the feed back. I'm new to the forum sorry if this question has been asked before.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
Thanks for the feed back. I'm new to the forum sorry if this question has been asked before.

Keep asking questions, how else will you learn?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline LutherRev

• NFOA Full Member
    • Lamb of God Lutheran Church
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
I thought that LB 430 made registrtation for those who do not live in Omaha and did not buy their weapons in Omaha a mute point.   

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »
LutherRev:

True.

But that particular Omaha City Code is still on the books.

Even though it conflicts w/LB 430.

So until (a) it's removed from the books or (b) tested in court and struck down, you can avoid a lot of cost, hassle, and potential criminal background history that might affect your RKBA by signing up.

Painful though it might be.

Kind of a matter of picking your fights carefully.

SFG
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ldp1959

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
Hi,

Another new guy here.  I recently get my ccw, but don't have my guns registered yet.  I was told that I don't live in Omaha proper, whatever that means.  I live around 1687th & Center, can anyone please tell me if I should take them in to get them regostered, and what the cost will be?  I had heard it was $10 per handgun.  Like the last new guy, sorry if this has been asked before.

ldp

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
It is an Omaha city ordinance.
I live in Douglas County, but not in Omaha.  None of my handguns are registered.
If your subdivision has not been annexed by Omaha, you do not live in Omaha. 

also, see LB889 above.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:35:36 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ldp1959

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Rick, I will see if we have been annexed by Omaha, but then again, who hasn't? lol

I enjoy the forum, you guys do a great job, I learn something every time I log on.

Lee

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »
First, anyone in Omaha would be doing a diservice to themselves by registering ALL their handguns...  The reason should be obvious.

Secondly, speaking of registering handguns now versus LB 817, when does the provision take effect where we can tell Omaha to f_ck off in regard to carrying a non-registered weapon?
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
Luther, LB430 only applies if you have a CCW permit, if you don't you still have the registeration requirement...

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
All that of course poses an interesting question.

I have one (1) handgun registered in Omaha, and it is usually my primary carry weapon.  Now that LB430 has passed, and I am no longer required to register my weapon in Omaha, will they remove the information they have (I dont live in Omaha) on my weapon, or will they continue to feel the need to keep it against my will?  Or am I going to have to take the bastages to court to get them to delete my data from their systems (I see more legislation coming on this one).

I booboo'd and purchased from a dealer in Omaha, not knowing any better (way back when). 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
When the LCP first came out I purchased the first one I could get my hands on.  That happened to be at Guns Unlimited.  Therefore it is registered.  At the time I lived in La Vista (now in Omaha) and Omaha said you had to register to carry there anyway.  I know an easy way out of the Omaha system...anyone want to buy an LCP :-)