< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Thunder Acres  (Read 1324 times)

Offline DSN46

• NFOA Full Member
Thunder Acres
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:23 PM »
Anyone here have any experience at this place?  I called the man and he seems nice enough... going to meet him soon.  Looks like he is involved with LASR Steel Target systems.   I saw on another forum where some were complaining that it is not a good place to shoot... so I'm looking for some input from those here who have gone there.

Thanks!

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Thunder Acres
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »
Do you mean Thunder Alley in Lincoln?  If so, yeah, it's not the newest place but they're nice to deal with and less expensive than the newer ranges.  As long as its safe and the equipment works, I don't really care if its old or fancy, but that's just me. :)

Unfortunately, I don't get to any of the ranges as much as I'd like to...

Offline DSN46

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I didn't mean Thunder Alley though. :)  This place is in Palmyra... it is a single guy with land that allows people to shoot at a range he has built.  It is done by "donations" and not membership.  It is a little unorthodox, but I'm interested because I can continue to train the way I always have.  From the holster and shooting and moving.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Just be careful, and watch.  Always.  You know....opsec

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »
Interesting.  Always glad to hear about new places...even if I never get there... ;)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:59 AM »
John Wallace of LASR owns it. They have a Facebook page and website. IIRC they did some shooting out there (like a competition) and a neighbor complained so he had to change it up a bit. Something about zoning , etc.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
Yep Thunder archers is owned by one of the owners of LASR.  John is a great guy, supports the forum, and at one point served on the board.  I've been invited out to shoot with them a few times but I just haven't been able to make it work out yet.  I would not hesitate to recommend them but not the range is not that big.  It is set up for more pistol shooting than anything else. 

Offline DSN46

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »
Thank you all for the replies!  I'm headed out to meet him in a few.  I'll report back what I find.

Offline DSN46

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »
John's a real nice guy.  I plan on heading out there to shoot when I can.  The only way you are going to save a life in an intense situation is to train, train and train like you were in a real life situation.  I was spoiled having our department range at my disposal for an entire career... moving, shooting, barricades, doorways, etc.  Standing at a table on a range that doesn't let you draw from the holster and move is only setting someone up for possible failure I'm afraid....