< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shipping gun for repair  (Read 1184 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
Shipping gun for repair
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
I have to return a revolver to manufacturer for repair. Since its first time they're paying for the postage. I have a paid Fed Ex shipping label. 

What is best way to handle this? Should I walk into Fed Ex with the gun box and ask for a shipping box? Or would it be better to go in without the gun, get a box, take it home. put the gun in the Fed Ex bog, seal it, label it and then return to Fed Ex?
I don't want to make anybody nervous about the guy carrying a gun.

Do I tell Fed Ex its a gun? I don't know the rules. Never had to ship a gun before.

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Shipping gun for repair
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
 last one I shipped. I just made a box from cardboard from a washing machine, just bent it and taped it up.  just walk in with gun packaged and hand them the label, they will ask what it is, just tell them shipping it back to the maker. very easy,

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
Related Commentary:

For all but the smallest gun repair (stuck squib, install aftermarket sights, etc.) I always send the gun back to the factory for repair.

>Factory has complete sets of design drawings and blueprints on THIS gun.
>Factory has an inventory of parts for THIS gun.
>Factory has special tooling, jigs, dies and equipment for THIS gun.
>Factory has trained technicians on THIS gun.
>Factory has a record of recalls and any other problems with THIS gun.
>Factory has already repaired a whole lotta guns just like THIS gun.

And Factory will sometimes slip you a Freebie here and there or cut a little slack on prices.   Worth the light shipping costs and wait time.   Always wait time, no matter what.

FWIW,

sfg.

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
Sent a firearm for repair a couple of weeks ago.  Put the firearm in the org. box (not manatory though), go to FedEx.  Tell them it's an unloaded firearm (no ammo) and it needs to go to "X" address.  They will put it in another box, do the paperwork and give you a copy.

Easy, Peasy.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »
Get the FedEx box and go home to package it up.  Place the label that the MFG sent you on the box and drop it off at FedEx.   You don't want to mess with talking to them about what is in the box or take it in the FedEx facility unboxed.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:38:40 PM »
Rod, I was told by Smith and Wesson exactly what I did.  Still have that email.  But there's more than one way to send a package.  YMMV.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
Rod, I was told by Smith and Wesson exactly what I did.  Still have that email.  But there's more than one way to send a package.  YMMV.
I don't disagree with what you did.  But the OP said he already had the label provided to him by the Manufacturer.

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
I put the gun in the original box and the original box in another box I found. Put the label on and took it to FedEx.  Kind of funny there was a "no concealed guns" sign on the door. They don't even trust their own employees. There was a door labeled "staff only, badge required. No weapons, subject to being searched",  When I looked up Fed Ex this address was the one that came up for shipping "dangerous items". I figured they probably considered guns dangerous and took it there, They didn't ask what was in the box.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason