< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Big Blast Caps  (Read 2050 times)

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Big Blast Caps
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »
Don't know if anyone has seen these yet or not, but they look interesting.

They are a bottle cap that screws onto a plastic bottle, you then pressurize the bottle with air.

When shot, the release of air causes a loud bang.

The only limitation is what ever you shoot them with needs to be able to break the bottle.

It may not be the same as Tannerite, but they do not fall under explosive regulations.

The link to the website is below and I found a 10-pack at Buds Gun Shop for under $15.

http://www.bigblastcaps.com/

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Big Blast Caps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »
As always, sounds fun until someone does something stupid with it.  Someone will hear the boom and call the police and then they have to make a decision on what to do.

[28-1213 (a) (I)
(7)(a) Destructive devices means:
(i) Any explosive, incendiary, chemical or biological poison, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, (F) booby trap, (G) Molotov cocktail, (H) bottle bomb, (I) vessel or container intentionally caused to rupture or mechanically explode by expanding pressure from any gas, acid, dry ice, or other chemical mixture, or (J) any similar device, the primary or common purpose of which is to explode and to be used as a weapon against any person or property; or
(ii) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subdivision (7)(a)(i) of this section from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
(b) The term destructive device does not include (i) any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon to be used against person or property, (ii) any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line-throwing, safety, or similar device, (iii) surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to 10 U.S.C. 4684(2), 4685, or 4686, as such sections existed on March 7, 2006, (iv) any other device which the Nebraska State Patrol finds is not likely to be used as a weapon or is an antique, or (v) any other device possessed under circumstances negating an intent that the device be used as a weapon against any person or property;]

And like tannerite, the State Patrol will have to do something to "Protect the public".  The second section should have protected tannerite, but with Administrative duties, the State Patrol can change the designation.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »
I don't see how they could prove anything related to that ordnance.  This isn't any different from popping a balloon, and hopefully that is still legal.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
...... I blow up water bottles and milk jugs with the same alacrity- just use an expanding bullet in just about any centerfire caliber.  Just fill the bottle or jug completely up with plain old water:  water won't compress and the bottles or jugs will pop nicely, nothing to buy, and they'll fill a lot faster from a garden hose than from that footpump .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
I'm apparently not very good at reading legaleze so let me ask: does this edict make it illegal to use a torch setup to mix oxygen and acetylene in a baggy and lay it where sparks from a welder will fall on it and make it pop?  Not saying anyone should do anything like this but just wondering if it would be illegal based on this edict.  In fact no one should do it because it doesn't take much to make a really big bang.

Or how about mixing oxygen and acetylene in a baggy and using it as an exploding target, since it's shock sensitive?  (And dangerous to play with for the same reason.)
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
I am not against this, its just like tannerite when someone gets their snit up.  Just like when we used to shoot trap I the middle of 640 acres that my friend farms.  New Cityfolk bought the acreage next to it and complained to the cops about all of the dangerous noise (their words) that was exceeding some arbitrary noise rule.  This stuff is fun, but you will find down the road that some county attorney is going to say it is a gas bomb under (a) (I), and yes mixing acetylene and oxygen could be considered an explosive device in the right perspective of the right person.

My whole point is that something that is fun and when used by the majority of people in a safe manner, can and has been made illegal by dictate of the State Patrol under their power to manage the safety of the rest of us by using words out of our own state statutes that were not meant to be interpreted the way they do.  Until someone has the money to fight them on technical grounds its not going to change.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
I'm apparently not very good at reading legaleze so let me ask: does this edict make it illegal to use a torch setup to mix oxygen and acetylene in a baggy and lay it where sparks from a welder will fall on it and make it pop?  Not saying anyone should do anything like this but just wondering if it would be illegal based on this edict.  In fact no one should do it because it doesn't take much to make a really big bang.

Or how about mixing oxygen and acetylene in a baggy and using it as an exploding target, since it's shock sensitive?  (And dangerous to play with for the same reason.)

Ive HEARD that people fill a pop can with oxy/acet. and set the can upside down on a welding table. makes some kind of noise ive heard.

I worked for the city of Omaha. we had huge racks of pipe outside,  every summer they would fill with wasp nests. used to put a Styrofoam coffee cup in the end of the pipe. punch a hole in it, fill with oxy/acet, and blow them out the other end,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 06:46:38 AM »
I don't see how they could prove anything related to that ordnance.  This isn't any different from popping a balloon, and hopefully that is still legal.

My guess they would use this to outlaw the caps since air is a gas:
(I) vessel or container intentionally caused to rupture or mechanically explode by expanding pressure from any gas, acid, dry ice, or other chemical mixture
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »
While air is a gas, it is not a expanding gas in the case.  These operate by release of pressure.  Epanding gas is where the volume of gas increases, ie dry ice bombs.

The reason that tannerite was able to be targeted, is that it is a binary explosive.   The ATF dose not regulate transfer of binary explosive components, just there use which is the route the stare patrol took also.

John K

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »

They are a bottle cap that screws onto a plastic bottle, you then pressurize the bottle with air.

i would be more afraid that the filling of said bottle would pop while filling sending plastic into my skin or a finger across the room ... i will stick to shooting things that don't go boom.. if i want some thing to go boom i will use a fuse or a wire to a battery and be at a safe distance.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
I may or may not have received such a thing as a Christmas present from my sister who wants me to come shoot on the farm in the summer.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason