< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Concealed Handgun  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Dave Jorgensen

• Forum Member
Concealed Handgun
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
I purchased a safe and bolted it to my pickup floor. It fits inside my large consol so no one knows it's there. I keep my handgun in the safe at all times that I'm not using it.  Am I legal?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Concealed Handgun
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
If you have a CHP, definitely.  If you do not, could be questionable.  In Lincoln for example, if left in vehicle over 24 hours, then would be in violation of their city ordinance.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »
FWIW

DanW--Knowledgable Sage--sez that the CHP State-Level pre-emption act wiped out the 24-hours-in-auto Evil Thing in Lincoln for CHP folks with handguns.  (But perhaps not for long guns.)   But:  If citizen has No CHP, then the Lincoln24-hour Law still applies.

Federal Law 18USC926a protects a handgun in the trunk for interstate travel.  The "test" appears to be immediacy of accessibility.  Console and glove compartment and any other passenger compartment stowage are NOT protected by 926a.   Attorney could argue, ...But it was LOCKED IN A SAFE.......!!!!.   

But the Federal Law Sez:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[/b]  GOTCHA....!!!!

Now.......If (a) Citizen has No CHP and (b) Gun is buried in Ten Feet of Concrete and ANYWHERE IN OMAHA, NEBRASKA without a CHP or without Omaha Handgun Registration, it is illegal.  Period.

EZ Solution:   GET CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT.    All the above goes away quite nicely.

How's that "Shall Not be Infringed" Thingie Workin' For Us..................???

FWIW

sfg
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:20:47 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »
All the above, but I'd tread lightly. I think I'd take it inside overnight and it'd be harder to get stolen overnight......ask me how I know.   ;)