< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: FNB Ends Relationship with NRA  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
FNB Ends Relationship with NRA
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
This definitely make them persona non grata in my eyes.  I for one am glad I ditched them years ago.

http://www.omaha.com/money/first-national-bank-ends-relationship-with-nra/article_c55d1003-5c88-59a1-83d5-3e7712863459.html
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: FNB Ends Relationship with NRA
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »
The "customer feedback" was pressure from Think Progress Nebraska.    I suggested everyone that has a relationship with FNBO reconsider that relationship.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »
Did you know....  FNBO has the contract for the 529 program (educational savings)  and that contract is up for renewal by the Nebraska Legislature next year?

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:01:32 PM »
Did you know....  FNBO has the contract for the 529 program (educational savings)  and that contract is up for renewal by the Nebraska Legislature next year?
I did not and that should be terminated ASAP. What goes around comes around. We the voters need to make this happen.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
Haters gotta hate.
I already know one fellow who closed all his accounts today and let them know why...

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
i wished i banked with them .. lol i would be closing my accounts ...
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 03:45:08 PM »
I bank with them, including my home mortgage. I'm very displeased with them...with extreme prejudice, because it was through them I was also compromised by the Equifax hack and had to implement credit freezes with every stinking credit reporting company.

Does anyone have a suggestion for local banks I can talk to? I'd like to see about moving my home loan and checking accounts to someone else.

EDIT TO ADD:
Wow. I just called to give them notice I'm displeased with their service lately, and how much I've become irritated with First National due to their NRA stance. The person I talked to said they have 175+ people sitting on hold right now waiting to talk to her. :-)

I told her I feel sorry for her, but not the bank...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:02:48 PM by BranchMillardian »
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline Kurt K

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:17:04 PM »
The "customer feedback" was pressure from Think Progress Nebraska.    I suggested everyone that has a relationship with FNBO reconsider that relationship.
I'd also be willing to bet FNBO was deluged by Twitter and Facebook hate from a content farm.  A few guys and software can look like 300,000 angry people.  The company panics, announces the new inane policy, and wonders why customers (real ones) are closing out their accounts.  One study showed that perhaps 48 million Twitter accounts are fake.  Whatever the case, FNBO has sided with gun control, and I'm tempted to open an account just so that I can close it.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
This is the bank that handles the credit cards for Scheels. I am no longer using it or shopping there, even though the store used to be one of my favorites.

Offline jschenck

• NFOA Full Member
  • IT Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
I would suggest not judging Scheels yet - they haven't been given a real chance to respond to FNBO yet. 

btw - Kurt, your post made me chuckle ".. and I'm tempted to open an account just so that I can close it."

I do have a couple of 529 plans, not much in them.  I think I'll go through the trouble to close them both and let the FNBO reps know why. 
I to, wish I had some other FNBO accounts I could close!  We've been banking with Centris and SAC for most of my adult life (got to Omaha in the '80's USAF)
Improving myself by shooting F-Class F/TR

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
I would suggest not judging Scheels yet - they haven't been given a real chance to respond to FNBO yet. 

I can let them know my feelings and adjust my shopping according to their response.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
I can let them know my feelings and adjust my shopping according to their response.

Id give Scheels a few days to figure this out.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:18 PM »
  Id give Scheels a few days to figure this out.

Sure.

It's not like I go to the big city often or because I want to. It'll be a while before I have to again. No sense waiting on letting them know how I feel.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:12 PM »
lots of company's seem to be bailing on the NRA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/here-are-the-brands-that-have-cut-ties-with-the-nra-following-gun-control-activists-boycotts/ss-BBJv0Qo?li=BBnb7Kz#image=11

Allied Van Lines

In a statement to Business Insider, an Allied representative said the moving company is discontinuing its discount program with the NRA immediately. "We have asked them to remove our listing from their benefits site," the representative said.

MetLife

MetLife told Business Insider on Friday that it would discontinue its NRA discounts program. "We value all our customers but have decided to end our discount program with the NRA," a representative said in an emailed statement.

SimpliSafe

On Friday, the home-security company SimpliSafe told Business Insider that it would withdraw from the NRA discount program. "We have discontinued our existing relationship with the NRA," SimpliSafe CEO Chad Laurans said in a statement.

First National Bank of Omaha

On Thursday, the bank said it would not renew a contract with the NRA that allowed members to receive an NRA-branded Visa card. "Customer feedback has caused us to review our relationship with the NRA," the bank said on Twitter in response to a call for a boycott. Previously, First National Bank offered members of the gun-rights organization an NRA Visa card, which offered a $40 cash-back bonus.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent a Car, and National Car Rental

The car-rental giant Enterprise Holdings announced on Thursday that it would end its NRA discount program, effective March 26. The three car-rental brands that Enterprise operates - Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent a Car, and National Car Rental - will stop offering discounts to NRA members.

A representative did not respond to Business Insider's follow-up questions about why Enterprise was ending the program, though the company has been flooded with boycott threats on social media. Avis Budget Group and Hertz, two rivals of Enterprise, still offered NRA discounts as of Friday morning.

Symantec

The cybersecurity company announced on social media Friday that it had "stopped its discount program with the National Rifle Association."

Best Western

Best Western has been targeted by boycott efforts because it has offered discounts to NRA members as recently as 2016. In response, the hotel chain has tweeted dozens of times that it "does not have an affiliation with and is not a corporate partner of the National Rifle Association."

It is unclear when Best Western cut ties with the NRA. The company did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment or further information. Best Western has been targeted in past NRA boycott efforts.

In 2012, after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, the activist group Avaaz organized a boycott of Best Western and Wyndham Hotel Group, calling for them to cut ties with the NRA. At the time, both hotel chains were listed on the gun-rights group's website as "friends of the NRA" and offered members discounts at hotels.

Wyndham Hotel Group

While Wyndham Hotel Group previously offered a 10% discount to NRA members, the hotel chain cut ties with the organization late last year. In response to boycott threats this week, the Twitter accounts for Wyndham and its rewards program tweeted dozens of times that the hotel chain was "no longer affiliated with the NRA."

Republic Bank

"The NRA Prepaid Card program was previously under review. Upon conclusion of this review, we decided to discontinue the offering," a representative said in a statement.

Avis and Budget

A representative for Avis and Budget told Business Insider that the brands would stop the NRA rewards program, effective March 26, 2018.

I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

CC

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
What these businesses don’t understand is that they are not attacking some corporation they are attacking us. I am the NRA. FNB attacked me with their political statement. They said they despise me and our Constitution.

I don’t need FNB - they need me.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »
....it was through them I was also compromised by the Equifax hack.
The breach was at Equifax, not FNB. It didn't matter where you banked as long as Equifax had information about you.

Does anyone have a suggestion for local banks I can talk to? I'd like to see about moving my home loan and checking accounts to someone else.
Try a credit union. Because my wife worked for the City of Omaha, we were able to switch our accounts to the Omaha/Douglas Federal Credit Union after Wells Fargo mistreated a friend of ours.

Home loans used to be held by the institution that originated them until they were paid off. That's no longer the case. They are now a commodity subject to sale whenever the institution decides selling is better than holding. Fifteen years ago, we refinanced with Cass County Bank to get a lower interest rate. They did a good job without gouging us with BS fees but were up front about selling our loan as soon as they could find a buyer.

Our VISA card used to be with Principal Bank in Des Moines. (They bought our mortgage from Cass County Bank.) FNB acquired us when they bought Principal's credit card operation. If the NRA can find a new bank to work with, we will switch to theirs even though unfreezing and refreezing our credit reports will be a PITA. Except for paying off the balance every month to avoid interest, we are very attractive customers for a credit card issuer.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:48:20 PM by Kendahl »

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the info, Kendahl. Yes, I understand that the breach was Equifax. However nobody else had my personal info (save for until I went in and got a home loan through FNB. It was probably my own naivety in understanding how they run a credit check, and I did not understand that they were going to use Equifax. If they had I probably wouldn't have given them my info. So basically they ran a credit check on me without informing me who they would use in the process.

I know that's par for the course with most people, however I'd spent 20+ years in the workforce without that knowledge being in the hands of anybody else except my employer, the .gov, and State Farm (who didn't run credit reports on me since I've been with them so long). I paid cash, didn't use credit cards, except through SF. Even when we used to rent I arranged that utilities companies didn't have my SS. I use a PIN and give them credit references. When I initially went into the bank they were flabbergasted that they couldn't find me when they ran a credit report. They said that there were two of me. One without a SS, but a credit score of almost 800. Then another with my SS and it was 0 and no associated addresses. "It's like...uh, basically you're a ghost or something."  ;D But I guess that horse is out of the barn now...

And thanks again for the tip on credit unions. That completely slipped my mind. I will look into them.  I believe even State Farm has one and I've had a very good and long track record with them.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »
FNB probably checked all three credit reporting services. I'm surprised you managed to remain underground so long. Auto insurance companies now use credit score as an indicator of personal responsibility. We have had house, auto, personal articles and umbrella liability with State Farm for years. Our agent was Joe Falcone who has just retired. State Farm took very good care of us after the big hail storm went through Omaha and Council Bluffs two or three years ago.

Before my wife and I moved to Omaha in 1974, we had a credit card in Kansas where we were college students. When the card expired, the issuer refused to renew it claiming that we had moved out of their area of operation. (These days, you can get a card from anywhere.) Applications for cards up here were rejected because they couldn't find a credit history for us. At the time, our bank was Northwestern National. (It was bought out years ago.) A personal banker there was astonished that we couldn't get a card. He begged us to complete one more application which he would shepherd through the approval procedure. That's how we got our first credit card in Omaha.

I was a physics graduate student at Kansas State in the early 1970s. One of my colleagues was married with a couple of children and, therefore, broke. He received a credit card in the mail and began using it. However, since he was broke, he couldn't make the monthly payments. The issuer charged interest, penalties for non-payment and interest on the penalties. Finally, they contacted him personally about the balance. He pointed out that they had nothing with his signature that promised he would pay them back. He and the issuer made a deal. They would cancel the card; he would pay them back at a rate he could afford but without interest or penalties and not until he graduated and found a job; none of this would appear in his credit history.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:38:10 PM by Kendahl »