< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nice to see our Gov  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nice to see our Gov
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 05:06:14 PM »
I'd say, if you're here chances are you're passionate about the 2nd and hopefully the rest of the Constitution as well.  We need to keep a vigorous and respectful dialog going, we won't always agree but it's vital we continue to work together for our common good.  This part of our existence depends on it.  i.e. We don't need to "Eat our own" as we have an annoying tendency to do. 

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
Back to the OP, I have contacted Gov Ricketts to commend him for his comments and stance on this whole issue since Parkland. It's shocking how rare a logical, reasonable response has been from any public figure. I genuinely appreciate it and told him so- and suggest more of us do the same.

On a related note, I also called Ben Sasse's office today to thank him for his response to Trump's repulsive and despicable comments over the last couple of days. I won't go off on a rant about that here, but suffice it to state my feelings with "FDJT".
If the Govt doesn't have to follow the law & due process then neither do the citizens. Starts us down a scary path.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
I see where the news media is now saying the radio log shows that a shift captain told responding deputies to form a perimeter instead of going in.  Numerous freedom of information request to try and see what the actual response was supposed to be like.  The saga continues.

Offline 402.308

• I'm a Proud GOA Life Member, NRA Endowment Member, &
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Pro-Gun Woman
    • Gun Owners of America
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2018, 08:03:44 PM »
Hopefully any police officer protecting school kids will not be like the coward who failed to do his duty in the Florida shooting.  Because that possibility always exists, more than one guard is probably a good idea.

I agree completely. Consider that Broward County did not arrest this kid when they had a chance thanks to this ingenious policy to "stop the school-to-prison pipeline" by just simply NOT making arrests. Regardless of whether that guy was told to stand down or not, it's hard to make a judgment without all the facts. Either way, I think there needs to be an investigation into that department, for sure.

https://www.publicsource.org/these-districts-fought-the-school-to-prison-pipeline-can-pittsburgh-learn-their-lessons/

“I wish we could talk about this three years from now,” said Chief George Brown, who heads the district’s safety department. “You’ll see in a good way that it’s starting to be reduced.”

Six months after this story was published, we can see that we don't need to wait that long to talk about it and, no, the results were not good.

Teachers and other adults working at schools could take the same course and then be qualified to carry.  I think it makes sense to have a dedicated guard whose only job is being a guard, but teachers, principals, coaches, and others like them would be very valuable as a backup to the guard (or guards). 

Many Texas schools are already doing this, and have been for years:

www.caller.com/story/news/education/2018/02/22/texas-172-school-districts-allow-teachers-staff-armed/364677002/

http://www.fox4news.com/news/south-florida-shooting-reinforces-why-argyle-isd-has-armed-staff-faculty

I'm not a teacher, but I can empathize. If it were me, I'd definitely volunteer to protect my students. Plus, what is better than knowing that you can conceal carry everyday when you go to work instead of being unarmed 8+ hours of the day simply because you want to be an educator?
"...and let him who has no sword sell his tunic and buy one."
                         ~Jesus to the Apostles (Luke 22:36)

https://gunowners.org/latest-news

Gun Owners Foundation: https://www.gunowners.com
Donate when you shop on smile.amazon.com!