< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun taken at Cabelas in Kearney  (Read 5685 times)

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
Gun taken at Cabelas in Kearney
« on: February 04, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »
I just thought I would pass on what I seen and herd at the Cabelas store in Kearney. A gentalman came in with a hand gun under his coat that was not completley covered and the customer service people aksed him to leave it at the counter for intimidation reasons with the other customers. One of the gun counter guys explained that as long as your gun is completely concealed and you have a permit that they would allow anyone to carry in the store but since this persons was visable they took it away. They also told him that if an officer would have seen it beeing carried this way he could loose his permit and firearm. I have no idea as to how much of this was right or wrong as I'm not a permit holder, but if any who dose know would like chime in maybe some other people would not have to deal with this. And who knows mayby the gentalman who this happened to is a member and could clarify this issue on here. I did not get a chace to talk with him before he left.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gun taken at Cabelas in Kearney
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
1st He would not lose his permit.  He did not break any laws.  The only trouble he would face would be not leaving Cabela's should they ask him to.
2nd Stupid for giving them his firearm.
3rd Even stupider for allowing it to be "exposed"......

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
When you say "taken" do you mean forcibly?

There is no way Cabela's can forcibly disarm anyone. They can "ask" them to disarm or leave the store.

Refusing to leave when asked is armed trespass, and could well cause you to be arrested and lose your permit.

A troubling scenario in any case.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FKSSA

• Volunteer Recruiter
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
They just asked him to leave it at customer service while he shopped and it did not appear to be a problem. I was just curious as to how you were suposed to carry and if by the gentelman not having the gun completely concealed if he was in the wrong. there was no problem that I could see by any of the people involved and the gn counter guy was telling him about the gun and permit being taken if seen by an officer, and I was wondering if that was true.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
OK, this policy of Cabela's has been discussed before, and that is their stance. I don't like it , but I am firm believer in the rights of a property owner.

The right  to control who enters, and what they can do while they are on your property is not one I will ask somebody else to give up, when I would not give it up myself.

Cabela's does support carrying concealed, and we can work on getting them to allow open carry, but that is their choice, even though I  find it hypocritical to make a living off of firearms sales and at the same time restrict open carry of the same.

We can always choose not to buy from Cabela's until they change their mind

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
Amen!
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Josjor

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 05:55:28 AM »
I own a retail store and would like to chime in here.

I'm sure I've had people carry concealed in my store.....most likely at least.  It's called "concealed" for a reason so I may never know.  I don't have any problem with concealed at all and fully support the right of concealed carry.  I better, considering I do so myself.

On the other hand, I would probably ask someone to conceal their weapon if they open carried in my store.  The sight of a weapon can intimidate, upset, or worry some of my customers.  Regardless as to how irrational their fears may be, as a retailer I need to respect their feelings on the issue if I want to continue earning their dollars.

So, all that said, I don't have a problem with Cabela's (or anyone else) allowing concealed carry but at the same time asking customers not to open carry.  I don't think its hipocrytical at all.  It's simply being a capitalist that makes allowances for differing views on the matter.  Like me they support gun rights but still make allowances for those that may be uncomfortable with loaded and accessable firearms on display.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:45 AM »
I'm not opposed to Cabelas having this policy, but there is a difference between an average store and one that makes a living off of selling guns and related items. Seeing someone armed at Cabelas is different than seeing someone armed at a Hardware store or something like that. IMO

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
Because we do have a diverse society re guns (i.e., pro-, neutral, and anti-), I, too, respect the property owner's rights who wants to be respectful of their diverse customers, i.e., not all folks going into Cabelas are pro-gun....maybe some arer just fishing folks, of which I am NOT one because of not being able to sit or stand still for anything longer than shooting some rounds at a Rock Your Glock match  8) . I agree with bullit's three bullets  ;) re what transpired at Cabelas.  For me, I like the right to open carry, but my choice is to not advertise....I prefer to conceal it.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
Personally, I'm 100% pro gun, but also 100% pro property rights.  In my opinion, Cabelas could ban anyone from carrying a gun that's painted any color but chartreuse, and I will absolutely support their right to do so, even if I think it's idiotic.  If you don't like their policy, don't shop there, and let management know why.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »

They are kinda overpriced anyway. I would rather support my local FFL anyway.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline Josjor

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
I'm not opposed to Cabelas having this policy, but there is a difference between an average store and one that makes a living off of selling guns and related items.

I think you're right.......and you're wrong. : )

If Cabela's sold nothing but guns I would wholeheartedly agree.  I live near the "mother" store in Sidney and that's normally the one I go to.  Firearms and ammo take up maybe 15% of their floor space.  If you go upstairs there and people watch from the balcony its pretty plain to see that a vast majority of their customers are not in the gun department.

I guess in the end I personally feel that banning concealed carry is foolish, but banning open carry is completely understandable no matter what type of business it is, with maybe the exception of a full fledged gun shop.

A boycott in this instance would be overkill, IMHO, and probably not very effective.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »
Sounds to me like the store was pretty polite about this. They could have asked him to leave or take it out to his car. The employee didnt know what he was talking about (the gun and permit being taken)But sounded polite. In my opinion the store is just trying to keep the peace by banning open carry.
This is an open carry state. How many of us would be willing to walk around downtown Omaha or Lincoln? What would happen? Most likely one of the sheeple would get scared and call the police. This is the same thing that could possibly happen at Cabelas. Considering they probably make more money from clothing and other items and there are alot of people who get nervous when seeing a gun being openly,the store is acting in their best intrest.
I dont completely agree with their policy but I do understand and respect it.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »
That is their policy, like it or not. If you want to shop there, obey their desires. As far as people being offended while shopping at Cabela's, I doubt it, from the time you walk in the door, you know what kind of store it is.

As far as only seeing 15% of the people in the gun department, that is because they have the worst customer service there I have ever seen. They have high prices and uninformed people behind the counter. Still, it is their policy, like it or not, they have the right.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »
Seeing someone armed at Cabelas is different than seeing someone armed at a Hardware store or something like that. IMO

How so?  Both sell tools.  Would it bother you to see me walk into Cabela's wearing a tape measure or a utility knife?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
The wording of this thread is somewhat misleading.

Gun taken at Cabelas in Kearney

The gun was not taken it was voluntarily relinquished and returned upon customer leaving the store.

Like the policy or not it is Private Property and subject to there policies.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »
OK, this policy of Cabela's has been discussed before, and that is their stance. I don't like it , but I am firm believer in the rights of a property owner.

The right  to control who enters, and what they can do while they are on your property is not one I will ask somebody else to give up, when I would not give it up myself.

Cabela's does support carrying concealed, and we can work on getting them to allow open carry, but that is their choice, even though I  find it hypocritical to make a living off of firearms sales and at the same time restrict open carry of the same.

Now that was well put Dan.
bigdog

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
I have no problem with their "No open carry" policy.  I do however have an issue with their employee making an egregious error in their statement. 

We don't need more misinformation out there.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 05:56:53 AM »
   When I was at the La Vista Cabela's, manning the NFOA table with guys from the ENGC, I took a few minutes to talk to the gun check-in people. I asked specifically what happened to the signs outside that said that checking in guns didn't apply to concealed carry owners? They said their policy of only unloaded guns being handled in the store was being violated by people walking in with loaded rifles saying "It's OK, I have a CCW permit." So they took the signs down and allow concealed carry,but for safety's sake,require all visible guns to be unloaded and safety checked at the door.  This seems to me to be a prudent and fair way to balance rights to carry with safe gun handling. What if's are everywhere here. What if he wants to get a trade in appraisal of that gun? What if someone asks to see it over by the gun counter. The "I didn't know it was loaded" defense is a common one.   RJ

Offline Rob B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 06:06:30 AM »
I'm going to get flamed here, but while I respect wishes of property owners, I feel once the business is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC,then laws of the state should apply,
if I have a permit, it is a permit, if you don't want my business,become an invitation only store.