< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I'm interested in doing a little bullet testing.......  (Read 3480 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
I'm interested in doing a little bullet testing.......
« on: October 12, 2007, 09:51:48 PM »
I ordered some of Federal's Expanding Full metal Jacket (that's right, EXPANDING FMJ) in 9mm and .45 ACP. It's supposed to feed as well as ball ammo, yet expand like a hollow point. If any of you have done this(bullet testing), and have some pointers, I'd appreciate it. Also, if someone has a good digital camera, we could maybe produce some pics for the next newsletter or pics/video for this site..............
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:16:11 PM by Randy A »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: I'm intested in doing a little bullet testing.......
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »
You're right, this would make a great article in the next newsletter. I need to acquire some better equipment to do it right,though. Let me see what I can come up with. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Bullet testing.....
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:22:48 PM »
Have you come up with any ideas ?

I was thinking ziploc bags filled with water, stacked one behind the other, in a shoe box. Or milk jugs- I've done that with deer bullets at extended ranges......

And I would like to test shooting through cloth or denim. I have heard that some hollow points' cavities (particularly those with large cavities- e.g. Hydra shocks ) fill with material and fail to expand...........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »
Sorry, between work, harvest, and an ongoing family matter, I've been spread a little thin lately. I will do some more research in the next few days, but I think I remember reading somewhere that wet phone books worked well. Of course at this point, I may just be hallucinating. I definitely want to do this test, and do it right, and good weather may be coming to an end. Did you say you had a chronograph? I was looking at them when I was shopping for re-loading equipment. That will be my next purchase.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Yes, I have a chronograph......
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
........... It's nothing fancy, but it works. :)

Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »
I have heard that wet phone books are a pretty good simulation of flesh. I have shot dry phone books before and the bullets did expand. Check out this link for some other ways to test ammo; it's one of my favorite sites.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
 >:( Dang it, Sam! I just blew a couple HOURS there......... that is a good site.....

Offline Mulligan

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 04:10:57 AM »
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

I think this looks at some Federal ammo, dunno if it's what you're looking for. I'm a year late either way :)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
From What I gather, that Expanding full metal jacket round does not always expand reliably invs. 4 layers of denim, but it always expands more tha FMJ would....

Offline Cathy1911

• Past Director- Secretary
  • NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
When it first came out, I shot some 9mm Federal EFMJ into soaked-for-24-hours phone books.  I didn't take pictures or keep the expanded bullets, but it and penetrated and expanded reliably through multiple layers of fabric and pieces of an old leather jacket.

From a fascinating discussion of terminal ballistics posted by a medical examiner describing his observations in the morgue:
I've only seen one example of Federal's Expanding Full Metal Jacket so I'm not qualified to speak with any authority on it except to say that the expansion was MOST impressive and it was a 1-shot kill. I've read other forums in which some in law enforcement made disparaging remarks about it, and one example is nothing I would want to hang my hat on, but I was impressed nevertheless. IF the EFMJ works as advertised, it would go a long way toward remedying the problems inherent with hollowpoints.

I like its shooting characteristics better in 9mm than .45 ACP.  In night-shoot training, the muzzle flash from the 9mm round is a dull red color.  The .45 is much flashier.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: I'm interested in doing a little bullet testing.......
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
I also own a Chronograph.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:17:13 PM by Randy A »
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
Cathy, is there someplace around here I can get less than an entire case of those?  I asked about them at Guns Unlimited and Cabela's, and they said they would be happy to order me a CASE, but not one box.   A certain gushop proprietor in Auburn promised to order a box for me, but has not followed through, despite repeated inquiries...... I am not real interested in buying a whole bunch of (really spendy) shells for my one and only 9mm only to find out that they don't work well in it..........

Offline Cathy1911

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 01:30:40 PM »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
'cate...... they list a box of those for about 20 bucks...... what does S&H/Hazmat fees amount to?

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
'cate...... they list a box of those for about 20 bucks...... what does S&H/Hazmat fees amount to?

No hazmat fees on Ammunition only Powder and Primers.

Anyway that is how Midway USA is.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:44:48 PM »
So....... um....... er....... I'm tying to wrap my head around this........ If you assemble components into actual live ammo, they are not hazardous material, but if you have separated ..........

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
Jim I can't make this stuff up.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
So....... um....... er....... I'm tying to wrap my head around this........ If you assemble components into actual live ammo, they are not hazardous material, but if you have separated ..........
Attention!
You must be 18 or older to order ammunition. Ammunition must ship UPS ground. Due to Department of Transportation regulations, we cannot accept returns on Ammunition. Make sure to use the correct ammunition in your gun. Check local laws before ordering.

Attention!
Powder ships separately and may arrive at a later date. $22.50 Haz Mat and additional $9.99 Shipping fees. Powder ships ground freight, 48 lb max. Powder cannot be returned. Check local regulations. Signature required at delivery.

Attention!
Primer orders ship separately and may arrive at a later date. $22.50 Haz Mat fee added per order. Primers ship ground freight to the 1st 48 states. 70 lb max per order. Primers cannot be returned. Check local regulations.

Jim I can't make this stuff up.
Above off Midway USA web site.
The fee is for 1# or 8#s same with primers 100 or 5000 one Haz Mat Fee,
Can they ship together???

Offline Cathy1911

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
Ammunition To Go has never charged me anything other than shipping on any orders, but all I buy is manufactured ammo, not reloading components.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Postal regs....... some bureaucrat thought 'em up: what did I expect?  Logic?