< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Where to shoot?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Where to shoot?
« on: February 11, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »
Hello!

I'm a new forum member, but a long-time shooter.  I just bought a new (my first that I've personally paid for) gun and want to know the best place around Lincoln to go shooting.  It's a basic .357 revolver, so nothing special in the way of range needs.  I've been to All-season's a couple of times, but that can get pricey, and there's no heat in the range itself, so it's not much better than shooting outside.

I haven't been able to shoot regularly since I moved to Lincoln about 20 years ago, but since I now have my own gun, and there are indications I'm going to be receiving the ancestral reloader soon I expect to do a lot more shooting in the future.  Besides, the kids need to learn how to shoot.  Growing up this was never a problem, when I wanted to shoot, I just went out behind the house, and I was good to go.  My neighbors now are a bit closer than they were then, so I don't think that's a good option.   :D

Bill

P.S.  What's with the freaking ammo shortage?  Bare shelves everywhere I go.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Where to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
Not a lot of choices in Lincoln any more.  There is the Lincoln Izaak Walton League.  The indoor range in North Lincoln is soon to be closed if it is not already.  Otherwise, The Bullet Hole in Omaha is a nice indoor range.

Fly
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:52:34 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Fly is right...for now the choices are few. I am an Ikes member since last January.

The price for the Izaak Walton membership and range cards is not so bad if you shoot regularly and reload. No added fees for lead disposal, or the targets you MUST buy from the range. No whining if you pick up your brass. Just wish I had some decent weather for a .223 load development session
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
Dan,

Is that a new rule about buying the club's targets?  I went there with a friend (back in 2008, maybe early 2009) and we just used the targets I had for the pistol and short (50 or 100 yard?) rifle range.  Did we break the club rules?

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »
The Ike's don't require you to buy targets, in fact they don't sell any.  I think Dan was trying to say that unlike many other ranges they dont require you to buy them.

The price is very good, I got a shotgun + rifle/pistol membership for 160 or so.  If you want just a rifle/pistol membership subtract $35, or vice versa.  All you can shoot as long as it's daylight hours.  Lots of cool people out there too, I've made some good friends there.

The only downfall is that it's all outdoors, so I don't shoot nearly as much in the winter months.  But for 9-10 months of shooting it's a good deal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:13:07 PM by bkoenig »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
I think Dan was trying to say that unlike many other ranges they dont  require you to buy them.

Oops! My bad.  I read it again and I understand now.  As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say..."Never mind".  :-[

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
If you have ever shot at the Bullet Hole, they don't like you to bring your own targets.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »
If you just do some occasional target/plinking, I just go to one of our local state park areas. was told by park ranger that if it's open for hunting and no other restrictions are posted you are more than welcome to  target shoot.  I personally just go out once in a while , and don't keep blasting away for hours.   Check your nebraska hunting guide for open areas.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NeShooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:06:21 PM »
I know its a drive of about 70 miles, but the Heartland Public Shooting Park in Grand Island is a good place.  Lots of neat ranges.  $10 for all day range time, as many guns as you want.  Open to the public.  Open Thursday, Friday 3 till dark and Saturday 9AM till 5PM, Sunday Noon till 5PM.  www.heartlandpublicshootingpark.com