< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Help! Need a place to shoot!  (Read 2088 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Help! Need a place to shoot!
« on: October 29, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
Need a bit of help- I usually take my kids to shoot a 100 rounds or so as a brush up for deer season, and we had st aside today for the day to go ..... we have shot on the same field fro years and when we showed up, everything was great....  except there were about 100 head of cattle on the next property (in the direction of fire) ...... that's never happened before- it' always been 4 miles of empty fields in that direction .... bottom line, we can't shoot there now (those cattle are likely to be there for a long while) and season is less than 2 weeks away.   This coming weekend is taken up by an Fellowship of Christian Athletes trip..... next Monday is the only day open in their schedule.

What I need is suggestions for where I could take them to shoot, preferably outdoors with the ability to shoot to at least 300 yards.
I am not currently a member of any gun club.

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Help! Need a place to shoot!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
Poking around here, there was a suggestion (in an oddly deleted post) that suggested Killdeer WMA ..... so I googled that and the NGPC /Nebraskaland Magazine had a link for it ..... with 2 comments, one of which stated that he had driven down there and there was a sign that said the range was CLOSED.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
Any feedback on Killdeer WMA sight in range being closed?  I will have to check and hound the G&P for info. THIS IS WHAT WE BUILT IT FOR!  sighting in deer rifles!

If you know a time, and are near Lincoln. I could guest you on the 100 line at the Lincoln Ikes.  (300 yard is members only, and then only on certain days a RO is present. )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
We have all day next monday open, NE Bull, and Ikes is not that far (by Bennet, right?).

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
That is a big problem (finding a place to go shooting). We have a couple of outdoor places to go here but you have to pay. There's an indoor range but we're limited to handguns and 22 caliber rifles (excluding AR-15's). Gone are the days where you could go to some remote place with a decent backstop and blaze away. Too much private land, rules, regulations, and livestock. Even at pay-to-shoot outdoor ranges there's always a chance that a stray bullet will happen. Doesn't matter if the odds of inadvertently hitting livestock or some property is extremely high (like 1000000000000:1). Oh well.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
I drove out to Killdeer WMA this morning.  The sight in range appears to be open and available for public use.  I chatted briefly with a gentleman who was checking the sighting on his muzzle loader.

NE G&P employees can lock the panel that covers the tube at the firing line to close the range, but it has been unlocked the last couple of times I was out there.  There are signs that prohibit shooting on other parts of that WMA, but there are none of those signs in the area where the sight in range is located.  Maybe we can have nice things....   ;D

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »
I found Killdeer on the map ....where is the range?  Not seeing anything that looks like a range on the satellite photo ....... NE Bull, you around?

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 08:16:16 AM »
The road at Killdeer WMA loops back onto itself at it's farthest point.  When you reach that loop-around, the signs tell you where the sight in range is located.  It's maybe a 25 yd walk to the firing line from that point.  The range won't show up on maps, but you literally cannot miss it.   ;D

Ghost 
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
Thanks, Ghost!