< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: East Palo Alto cop takes heat for Facebook remarks  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Brian

• NFOA Full Member
East Palo Alto cop takes heat for Facebook remarks
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:16:55 AM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14361484?nclick_check=1

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night!" Tuason wrote. "Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them makes a furtive movement ... 2 weeks off!!!"   :o

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: East Palo Alto cop takes heat for Facebook remarks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:09 AM »
Sounds like this individual is in need of some wall to wall counselling, at a minimum. 

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »
While I haven't heard anything similiar from Omaha police officers, I do know that open carry in Omaha isn't encouraged. When I first got my Omaha Handgun Identification Card back in the 1990s, I contacted the city attorney's office, who refused to discuss the matter. I called OPD, and was handed off about half a dozen times. Finally I spoke with a Sergeant who told me that open carry was legal, however if someone complained, I would be arrested for disturbing the peace. Other than open carrying when working uniformed security, I have avoided the issue.
WØCHF

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:16:05 PM »
"a Sergeant who told me that open carry was legal, however if someone complained, I would be arrested for disturbing the peace." That is brilliant. It's legal as long as NO ONE else complains. That is clear...... Our city & nation are in real trouble.

As to the original post/story- that is complete crap. If you reversed the roles and someone said that about shooting a policeman they would be universally condemned (rightfully so) and possibly charged with terroristic threats or some such. Or replace the 'open carry' advocate with almost any other protester (anti-war, environmental, etc) and see what would happen. If the police can publicly joke about shooting law-abiding citizens because they are an inconvenience or disagree with their politics without any ramifications then the police state mentality has already taken hold. Obviously Calif is well down that road.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:18:28 AM »
I have had only one encounter with a LEO here in the OMA area since I got my CCW and when I informed him that I was armed his only response was "cool".  Gives me a warm feeling to know that there are some of the LEO's out there that support the 2nd amendment as much as I do.
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
I worked security, unarmed and armed, for about 12 years after I retired from the Air Force. In that capacity I got to talk with quite a few Law Enforcement Officers. I also belong to an internet group of law enforcement officers. None of the rank and file officers that I know have any problem at all with the ordinary citizen being armed, concealed or open carry. They know that law abiding citizens are not a threat to them and they know that we are a deterent to crime. Their problem is when they have to enforce a law that they don't agree with as regards being armed. They do what they have to do, and I respect that. As long as we stay on the right side of the law, all is good. I carried concealed before we got CCW here. I had to rely on the Affirmative Defense, which I was willing to do. Better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6. Soapbox mode/
WØCHF