< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Walther P22  (Read 2503 times)

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
Walther P22
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »

Anyone have experience with this pistol? The first weapon I ever fired was the Ruger MKII. I was looking at getting my CCW and thought this would be perfect.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:12:43 PM by akclark »
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Walther P22
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:53:31 AM »
I've never even held one, but that is one mean looking pistol.  I bet it would make Sarah Brady wet herself.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »
I've never even held one, but that is one mean looking pistol.  I bet it would make Sarah Brady wet herself.
I think that  picture is actual size too!
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »
last year i was looking to buy a P22 or a Ruger Mark III.  so i posted something on ar15.com.  people talked about it for over 2 pages and everyone said that Ruger will last you a lifetime.  the main complaint on the P22 was that plastic lips broke off where the slide is and i peronsally didn't like the grips.  they weren't "grippy" enough for me.  So i bought the Ruger MKIII with a bull barrell (the smaller barrels look akward on the gun).  the Ruger has been very nice.  i haven't taken it apart to clean it, but most people say you don't have to take apart the Rugers to clean them, but I keep them well oiled.  but then again my situation was for plinking and not CCW.  i guess the choice is up to you.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »
EDIT: I just noticed that you meant for CCW use - a suppressed MK II is pretty hard to hide. I don't think any .22 is particularly suited to CCW. My advice is to shy away from .22 and look into centerfire cartridges... Even a .380 should be a better choice.

I'd highly recommend the Ruger MkII or MkIII. I've shot a lot of the Walthers - they seem to work, they are cheap, they aren't particularly accurate. The MKII feels like a real gun, shoots where you tell it to, and will last forever.

Poor quality cell phone photo of mine:

A bit of help from Gemtech makes it more enjoyable....

/rl
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:57:56 PM by rluening »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
I have seen several P22 with broken slides...I would do search before I seriously considered one

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2007/05/walther-p-22-broken-slide.html
 One happened when Gunscribe was near

And,  I too agree that 22LR is an inadequate self defense cartridge
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
Not only that Dan, but my wife owns one. The problem with hers and many others is the cross slide roll pin in the safety area won't stay in place. It either walks out during firing or with the firearm on safe the lever covers the pin. If it were to walk out enough while carrying it could lock the lever in the safe position. Not a good thing if you need to use it in a hurry.

Having said that we really like the gun and the way it shoots. We only load/unload it on the firing line so we never use the safety.

I would not recommend it for a carry gun.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
I have seen several P22 with broken slides...I would do search before I seriously considered one

http://nebraskanews.blogspot.com/2007/05/walther-p-22-broken-slide.html
 One happened when Gunscribe was near

And,  I too agree that 22LR is an inadequate self defense cartridge

This was my Walther that the slide broke. A neat little gun for the kids to shoot, but I would use it for a carry gun.

It had the extended barrel on it and that slide extension apparently bangs up against the other slide when shooting, so it eventually broke the slide in half. Not just cracked, it broke in half!

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »
**** it. I am just going to get a 1911.