< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Local Gun Laws in Nebraska  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Re: Local Gun Laws in Nebraska
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:15 AM »
IF...you have a valid CHP then Lincoln does not have the power to require this registration.

But it seems like local FFL's  send it in anyway...at least they used to,  and you would not know if they had unless you asked
At this point, I'm not sure I'll buy another firearm within Lincoln city limits again, CHP exemption notwithstanding.

I heard back in the day of a few cases where they did even after they were notified by then LPD Chief Hop a long Casady that they were not to register sales to CHP holders.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZgNXRKbefgPi_4GPYUjg1pXFpj50i13fWkvmj3bo39Jvcf1H1b3JFmIJSry/view?usp=drivesdk
Probably because the wording says it's not "necessary" to report it, not that they shouldn't report it.  What business does Lincoln have in knowing what firearms I buy?  Fortunately, I've only bought one inside the city limits, and don't even have that one anymore.

I'm very tempted to make it to the council meeting for Monday, and ask the council what this gun registry is being used for and why they think they need it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 08:51:32 AM »
At this point, I'm not sure I'll buy another firearm within Lincoln city limits again, CHP exemption notwithstanding.
Probably because the wording says it's not "necessary" to report it, not that they shouldn't report it.  What business does Lincoln have in knowing what firearms I buy?  Fortunately, I've only bought one inside the city limits, and don't even have that one anymore.

I'm very tempted to make it to the council meeting for Monday, and ask the council what this gun registry is being used for and why they think they need it.

This ordinance is one of the reasons the Derek moved DE Guns out of Lincoln City Limits.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
This ordinance is one of the reasons the Derek moved DE Guns out of Lincoln City Limits.
I figured it was so they could create the outdoor ranges, but that makes sense.  What a dumb and completely useless law.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
They use this registry to find firearms owners who have illegally purchased a firearm under the Lincoln City Ordinances. You can be perfectly legal outside of city limits, but be a prohibited person within city limits. 

Someone on desk duty goes through the "registry" and looks up each person to see if they have any one of the many misdemeanors in Lincoln that result in your loss of the right to own, transport or possess.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
They use this registry to find firearms owners who have illegally purchased a firearm under the Lincoln City Ordinances. You can be perfectly legal outside of city limits, but be a prohibited person within city limits. 

Someone on desk duty goes through the "registry" and looks up each person to see if they have any one of the many misdemeanors in Lincoln that result in your loss of the right to own, transport or possess.

Which does absolutely no good if someone goes just outside of town and buys one, or if they buy from another individual.  Again, this law is dumb and completely useless.

Offline CrazyGolfNut

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »
Ok, I get a little confused reading the legal documents.  My question is, can a person conceal carry in Blair if you have the proper Nebraska permit?
“He flourished his sword, I pulled out my gun and shot him”
Harrison Ford / Indiana Jones

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
Ok, I get a little confused reading the legal documents.  My question is, can a person conceal carry in Blair if you have the proper Nebraska permit?

The City of Blair is pre-empted by Nebraska State Law from setting rules for Concealed Handgun Permits, except for specific publicly sign-posted locations on city property where city officials do not allow concealed carry.  Otherwise, concealed carry is allowed within the City of Blair, so long as all other Nebraska State Concealed Carry laws are observed.  And Federal, of course.

Be sure to read the door signs of buildings before entering.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:21:00 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »
This thread evolved mostly into a political discussion, but I'd like to return to the original intent and 'second the motion'. Being a repository of easily-searchable legislation would be not only a great service to Nebraska firearms owners, but also a possible "draw" to call folks' attention to the organization.

On several occasions in the past, we have discussed (complained about, etc.) various nuances such as the prohibition on carrying firearms on snowmobiles.  Or carrying loaded shotguns versus other long arms in vehicles.  Or the need to retreat unless in one's own home.  Or whether it's legal to shoot a coyote with a centerfire rifle during the November firearm deer season.  Etc. etc.

We don't need to provide legal interpretation.  But it would be good to just have the laws and citations all compiled in one area.  Anyone who teaches a concealed carry class probably already has all of this as part of a powerpoint deck which they reference during the classroom portion of the training.

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2019, 09:32:35 AM »
Anyone who teaches a concealed carry class probably already has all of this as part of a powerpoint deck which they reference during the classroom portion of the training.

The Nebraska State Patrol has recently moved from individual CHP instructor-developed curricula to a single statewide NSP-developed standard CHP curriculum.  It is now open to any and all viewers who might be interested in its contents.   The PowerPoints can be found at:

https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/services/concealed-handgun-permits/chp-instructor-curriculum-minimum-requirements

Then scroll down to bottom and clik on Nebraska State Patrol Universal Curriculum.

FYI,

kgm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:32:35 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2019, 10:44:07 AM »
Well that's an improvement!

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »
The City of Blair is pre-empted by Nebraska State Law from setting rules for Concealed Handgun Permits, except for specific publicly sign-posted locations on city property where city officials do not allow concealed carry.  Otherwise, concealed carry is allowed within the City of Blair, so long as all other Nebraska State Concealed Carry laws are observed.  And Federal, of course.

Be sure to read the door signs of buildings before entering.

FWIW,

sfg
Isn't a blanket city property posting in direct violation of the State CCW law, Wymore posted the City building and when I showed the State law to the City Attorney, he directed them to take the signs down...

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
you should link to the sources as this info changes so much that the info you post will be out of date at some point in time.  someone will read it and run in to an issue with a law that changes in a city or town down the road. but a link to the state / city source should be maintained up to date.

Could we use the efforts of any interns that the NFOA may have to put this info together, possibly working with any attorney that may be willing and able to oversee and assist with an effort like this. Several state organizations create and publish books of their state laws and sell them as fundraisers.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
Isn't a blanket city property posting in direct violation of the State CCW law,

FWIW, my posting wasn't about blanket posting.   It pointed to the possibility of the City of Blair having ownership of any city public property, which the city administration would then be able to legally post.   Private property can be posted by such private property owners who wish to do so.

But--to prohibit concealed carry, both city and private property must be posted, except for properties specifically prohibited by the NE Concealed Carry Act and Federal Law.

Which prompted my suggestion to Read the Door Signs.

If you hunt, fish, or carry concealed these days, might as well bring along your attorney and accountant.

sfg

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »
Could we use the efforts of any interns that the NFOA may have to put this info together, possibly working with any attorney that may be willing and able to oversee and assist with an effort like this. Several state organizations create and publish books of their state laws and sell them as fundraisers.

The forum member previously known as feralcatkillr (FMPKAFCK) likes this idea.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »
*Duty to retreat as long as it can be done IN COMPLETE SAFETY (Important words emphasized)

*Signage prohibiting Legal Concealed Carry MUST BE CONSPICUOUS (for those of you in Rio Linda, that means right there in your face)

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
"Rio Linda"  LOL.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
The forum member previously known as feralcatkillr (FMPKAFCK) likes this idea.

O-Kayyy..........
Admittedly off topic,

But Every Time I Saw a Forum Posting from the NFOA Member Formerly Known As Feral-You-Know-What, It Gave Me a Great Big Warm Happy Feeling.

Just...........Sayin....,

sfg