< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Local Gun Laws in Nebraska  (Read 5216 times)

Offline BrettR

• Forum Member
Local Gun Laws in Nebraska
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Perhaps this topic has been mentioned in previous threads but I was curious if someone could provide a list of local gun regulations that exist across Nebraska. For instance, I found that Blair prohibits open carry. As I regularly travel across the state I'd like to be better informed of the local gun laws in hopes to remain out of the law enforcement spotlight!

Thanks in advance!

Brett

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: Local Gun Laws in Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:07:07 PM »
I am all for getting this out for others to know as well.
Although there is a good deal of knowledge regarding Omaha and Lincoln, and somewhat Blair, we would need members in the various communities to post the rules in their area.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »
Gun Laws........
If allowed at all,

Should be allowed no lower than the state-statute level.

Otherwise, they create a trap for law-abiding citizens to stumble into.
And wind up with an inadvertent felony record.

Omaha's Handgun Registration Law is the perfect example, among many.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
Call me ignorant but I was under the impression that there is state pre-emption in Nebraska with Omaha having an exception - apparently Lincoln has an exception and maybe others. I hope I don't get arrested for not knowing every city, town, and county laws.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
I hope I don't get arrested for not knowing every city, town, and county laws.

You have nicely captured the essence of my post.

Yes.  CHP Holders are exempt from Omaha's Handgun Registration and Open Carry municodes.   But not Ordinary, Everyday Citizens.

And Lincoln, Blair, and other cities have other gun laws without exemptions.

It's a jungle out there.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
And a Bit More from the Nebraska State Constitution:

I-1. Statement of rights.
All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

When I first read that section of the Nebraska Constitution many years ago, it was very reassuring that I had moved to the right state.  But I've since found out that it sorta doesn't mean squat. :P 

sfg

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Call me ignorant but I was under the impression that there is state pre-emption in Nebraska with Omaha having an exception - apparently Lincoln has an exception and maybe others. I hope I don't get arrested for not knowing every city, town, and county laws.
To my knowledge, only CHP holders have preemption, which is why we need to push for statewide preemption laws which includes everyone.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
To my knowledge, only CHP holders have preemption, which is why we need to push for statewide preemption laws which includes everyone.

Correct, but note preemption only covers handguns carried  pursuant to a valid CHP, not long guns.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »
Correct, but note preemption only covers handguns carried  pursuant to a valid CHP, not long guns.
True, I forgot to clarify that in my post.  Thanks for the correction.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
While I agree that there shouldn't be any firearm laws lower then the state, I have done some work at finding out what the laws are in other cities in Nebraska. 

Please keep in mind that these are the ones for the cities that I looked up and do not include all of the cities in the state.

Hope this helps, the date the info was downloaded should be at the start of each document.

John K

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »
JAK:

Appears to be the very first time this important information has been gathered together and posted here on the NFOA Forum, AFAIK.

This information deserves to be permanently posted as a sticky here on the Forum in the Laws section, where it will then be available for all Forum members and readers.

Thanks for your efforts.

sfg

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
While I agree that there shouldn't be any firearm laws lower then the state, I have done some work at finding out what the laws are in other cities in Nebraska. 

Please keep in mind that these are the ones for the cities that I looked up and do not include all of the cities in the state.

Hope this helps, the date the info was downloaded should be at the start of each document.

John K

Thank you John, this is a great amount of effort and an important resource. Great point, we need to make this easily available to folks.  You mind if we take your files and create a post with them and as recommended, make it sticky so folks can find it easily?
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:38:25 AM »
Thank you John, this is a great amount of effort and an important resource. Great point, we need to make this easily available to folks.  You mind if we take your files and create a post with them and as recommended, make it sticky so folks can find it easily?

you should link to the sources as this info changes so much that the info you post will be out of date at some point in time.  someone will read it and run in to an issue with a law that changes in a city or town down the road. but a link to the state / city source should be maintained up to date.
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
you should link to the sources as this info changes so much that the info you post will be out of date at some point in time.  someone will read it and run in to an issue with a law that changes in a city or town down the road. but a link to the state / city source should be maintained up to date.

Good suggestion!
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline BrettR

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
Thanks again!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »
Good list of links to individual city's municipal codes: http://nebraskaccess.nebraska.gov/municipalcodes.asp

I have attached a PDF of the code for Blair's ban on open carry.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
Feel free to use the info I posted any way that you want.

I put the date that I downloaded the information to provide a reference as to when it is current.  Links to the various locations where the info is would be great, however you will end up searching through a lot of statues that do not apply to firearms to find the ones that do.

John K

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »
If you buy a handgun in Lincoln its reported to the police.    So basically registered.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:55 PM »
If you buy a handgun in Lincoln its reported to the police.    So basically registered.
Wait, are you serious?  Just that you made a purchase, or the actual info on the firearm?

*EDIT*
Never mind, I think I found (some of) what I was looking for.  I'm going to do a little more digging into this.
9.36.030 Report of Sale of Firearms.
Any person, firm, association, or corporation dealing in firearms of any type shall, on the same day of the sale of any firearm,
except a shotgun or a rifle of a type commonly used for hunting, report the sale to the Police Department on forms as prescribed
and furnished by the Police Department. The report shall contain all the information requested thereon.
(Ord. 15625 §3; July 9, 1990: P.C. §9.28.025: Ord. 15443 §1; February 20, 1990: prior Ord. 7936 §1; December 26, 1962).

*EDIT2*
Okay, now I'm steamed.  I thought gun registries were already determined to be illegal, so how is Lincoln getting away with this?  I found this part in the ordinance (picture attached to post).  The section detailing how it's to be filled out is marked out as if they'd removed it from the ordinance, but that doesn't mean anything.  It just means they aren't using that specific method of reporting anymore.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 10:49:16 PM »
IF...you have a valid CHP then Lincoln does not have the power to require this registration.

But it seems like local FFL's  send it in anyway...at least they used to,  and you would not know if they had unless you asked

I heard back in the day of a few cases where they did even after they were notified by then LPD Chief Hop a long Casady that they were not to register sales to CHP holders.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IZgNXRKbefgPi_4GPYUjg1pXFpj50i13fWkvmj3bo39Jvcf1H1b3JFmIJSry/view?usp=drivesdk
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 10:56:01 PM by LJUnaTIC »
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry