< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Safety Alert on Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 firearms  (Read 1721 times)

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Safety Alert on Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 firearms
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:23 AM »
https://gatdaily.com/safety-alert-on-smith-wesson-mp15-22-firearms-video/

Smith & Wesson has issued a consumer alert for all models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols made before Feb. 1, 2019. The alert and inspection process outlined by Smith & Wesson comes after two recently produced M&P15-22s were found to have their breech face counter bore depth out of spec. The condition could allow the bolt “upon closing, to crush the rim of the case, causing the round to fire, cycling the bolt, and potentially resulting in multiple discharges without depressing the trigger.”

read more at the posted link
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Safety Alert on Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 firearms
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Almost bought one of those on Black Friday (and may eventually in the future).

Offline DanSt

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
This problem was announced a year ago, for that reason, some Appleseed events would not allow MP15-22 firearms. Thanks for the heads up, and reminder, for those who forgot or havent heard about the recall.

Offline sh68137

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Lifer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
If your shooting the M&P 15-22 regularly, you'll know if it is a recall item.
However if there's a chance you have a recall item, get the feeler gauge.
"Only slaves need permission."--SGH

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 02:37:51 PM »
Your local dealer may have a gauge and should be happy to check your bolt. S&W sent us 2 and we regularly check customer firearms
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »
This problem was announced a year ago, for that reason, some Appleseed events would not allow MP15-22 firearms. Thanks for the heads up, and reminder, for those who forgot or havent heard about the recall.
Actually, the Issue that Project Appleseed was seeing was after many rounds the chamber/ action would get dirty, the bolt not go fully into battery, yet allow the trigger to drop the hammer and fire the round, sending brass shards into the shooter(s)'s arm.  This issue was supposedly 'fixed'.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane