< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why "safe storage" is worthless  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Why "safe storage" is worthless
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
So, while I was looking up the info about Kansas lowering their conceal carry age to 18, I stumbled across this little gem.

http://www.kake.com/story/40208172/mother-of-teen-who-took-gun-on-east-high-school-bus-speaks-out

A teenager took a handgun on a bus to school.  She wasn't planning to hurt anyone, but did intend to sell it for money.  So wait, if the kid got ahold of her mother's gun, why did I title this post the way I did?

Yell says the gun was stored in a locked bedroom. But like many teens, her daughter Kaitlyn found a way in and after some snooping found the gun.

Unless you're paying out the nose for the most advanced locking system available, you're not going to keep out a determined individual.  At best you can slow them down, but that doesn't really matter if they live in the same household.  They'll just look for an opportunity when they have sufficient time.  So called "safe storage" laws are just another means by which the left intends to whittle down our rights.

Offline GreggL

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Why "safe storage" is worthless
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »

I also read recently that the Supreme Court Heller decision
found the District of Columbia safe storage law unconstitutional.
Something that may need to be pointed out to Lincoln’s
City Council.
Government not being restrained by the Constitution as written is tyranny pure and simple.

Offline sh68137

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Lifer
Re: Why "safe storage" is worthless
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
Page 60 of Heller...Be careful of pointing this out.

"The other laws JUSTICE BREYER cites are gunpowder-storage laws that he concedes did not clearly prohibit loaded weapons, but required only that excess gunpowder be kept in a special container or on the top floor of the home.  Nothing about those fire-safety laws undermines our analysis; they do not remotely burden the right of self-defense as much as an absolute ban on handguns. Nor, correspondingly, does our analysis suggest the invalidity of laws regulating the storage of firearms to prevent accidents."
"Only slaves need permission."--SGH