< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How to dispose of shotgun shells damaged by flood?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
How to dispose of shotgun shells damaged by flood?
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
What's the proper way to safely dispose of shotgun shells that were under 2 feet of water?
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
Re: How to dispose of shotgun shells damaged by flood?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »
How many? You can cut them open to reclaim the shot,  dump the powder in your garden, remove the primers and attempt to render them inert by soaking in oil and discard the hulls.

Sometimes primers will eventually  dry out and become active again so they can be difficult to deal with in a permanent way  unles you try and fire them

I use this tool to cut open shells for reclaiming components.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/712998/precision-reloading-d-loader-shotshell-dismantler
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:45:32 AM »
The first question is did the water get into the container the shells were in and how long were they in contact with water?

If they did not come in contact with water/were only in contact for a short period they can probably be dried out and used for practice.  The best way is to lay them out in the sun.

If they were exposed to water for a extended time then disassembly is probably the best option.  Keep in mind that the gun powder may still be good or it may have turned into a solid mass.  Regardless of it's condition it may still function and may be more sensitive then normal so caution is advised.

If there is a large amount there are other options is you have access to a large safe area to dispose of them, however they are best employed by someone trained to dispose of unserviceable munitions.  PM me if you would like to discuss.

John K

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:42 AM »
If it’s some flats of target loads, yeah someone may want to use all that shot and the wads. If it’s just a few boxes of game loads there may be much less demand. 

Many decades ago, cleaning out grandpa’s garage, we came across a hodge podge of old (even then) paper hull loads.  Didn’t trust them and didn’t know how to dispose of them, so we just buried them in the pasture.   Years later I kicked myself for getting rid of something that was probably valuable and collectible.  Years after that I spent more time at gun shows seeing old farts haggle over a few cents on old shotgun shells and was glad I just buried the goddam things.   :laugh:

"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »
Shoot them.
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:48:00 PM »
If you do not want to deal with disassembling and handling parts you can contact local law enforcement, they will get it safely disposed of by controlled burn. I believe OPD does its own disposal, most everyone else gets it to NSP who does several burns a year.