< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Prevention and resistance are two very different things  (Read 954 times)

Offline sh68137

• NFOA Full Member
  • NRA Lifer
Prevention and resistance are two very different things
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
Prevention and resistance are two very different things, and the latter is what the gun debate is fundamentally about.
Even if guns don't prevent crime, it wouldn’t mean that guns are not a reasonable means of resisting crime.
To illustrate the difference, let’s suppose that I encounter a mugger while taking a walk.
I brandish my firearm to the mugger, who is undeterred and rushes me with a knife.
I then shoot the mugger, stopping the crime.
In that situation, my gun has failed to prevent a crime, but it was successful at resisting a crime.
The gun was an effective and reasonable means of self-defense even though it failed to deter the would-be mugger.
This is a very crucial point that must be carefully appreciated.
Even if guns don't prevent crime by reducing the overall crime rate, it wouldn’t mean that guns are not a reasonable means of resisting crime.
As far as gun rights are concerned, the single most important issue is simply the question of whether guns do a good job when deployed against a criminal assailant. Prevention is not the key issue at stake.
"Only slaves need permission."--SGH

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Prevention and resistance are two very different things
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
Its impossible to prevent crime. Laws don't prevent crimes they define them.  Even the Bible says the 10 Commandments don't prevent sin, they tell us what it is.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason