< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Kearney PD sniper shoots roof.......  (Read 1538 times)

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Kearney PD sniper shoots roof.......
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
Todays Kearney Hub--More safety training needed.

KEARNEY ? A shot wasn?t fired last week during the hostage situation at Wells Fargo Bank in Kearney. But a shot did ring out in downtown Kearney after the incident ended.

Within about 15 minutes after Jon Buckley, 22, of Minden was taken into custody on suspicion of holding bank employees and customers hostage, a single gunshot echoed throughout downtown Kearney. Kearney Police Department Chief Dan Lynch said Thursday the shot was from one of his snipers? rifles.

During the two-hour incident, three sniper teams of two Kearney Police Department officers each were perched on top of three rooftops surrounding the bank. Two of the snipers were staged on top of Bruce Furniture at 2026 Central Ave., just south of the bank.

Lynch said the snipers were disassembling their position when a single shot discharged from one officer?s Remington rifle down into the Bruce Furniture roof. Lynch said the officer was holding the weapon properly when it went off.

?The officer?s hands were very cold, and basically his glove got in the trigger guard, and the gun discharged into the roof of the building,? Lynch said.

The bullet lodged in the roof above the north entrance to the store and did not penetrate the roof. Damage was estimated at less than $200, Lynch said.

The hole was patched later that day.

Mike Bruce of Bruce Furniture declined to comment.

Lynch said the officer, whom he refused to identify, wasn?t wearing a glove on his shooting hand during the 2?-hour incident, although he wore a glove on the opposite hand.

?It was his off hand that accidentally discharged the gun,? Lynch said.

KPD has had snipers for decades, but Lynch wasn?t sure how long the officer had been a part of the team. The officer, like all KPD snipers, is certified and trains on a regular basis both on his own and with the department?s Emergency Services Unit team.

The matter was internally investigated and handled, Lynch said.

He declined to elaborate further.

?In fairness to this individual, had it not been two hours out in the cold, I don?t think this would?ve ever occurred,? Lynch said.

Buckley is accused of walking into Wells Fargo Bank at 10:57 a.m. Feb. 10 with a sawed-off shotgun and asking for media attention after being fired Feb. 3 from his job at NTV television station.

He?s charged in Buffalo County Court with five counts of felony kidnapping with the intent to terrorize, one count of felony robbery and one count of using a firearm, a loaded sawed-off shotgun, to commit a felony. Buckley is being held at the Buffalo County Detention Center on a $1 million cash bond.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Kearney PD sniper shoots roof.......
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
The COLD caused him to pull the trigger with his off hand???????

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
So its OK for a cop to ND after 2 hours out in the cold? what if the standoff had been 30 hours long?  would there have been 15 ND's? those all would have been OK too? 
N0ZXR

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:17:21 PM »
 ??? I don't accept this excuse.  Whenever I lower my rifle I simultaneously lift the
bolt handle.  I've never heard of a Rem. 700 firing with the bolt handle in the up position.  However I only shoot 4000 to 5000 rounds per year at prairie dogs.  What do I know ?
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
There is NO excuse for such an incident if this "sniper" is really trained for such.  Ever hear of the safety?  Maybe needs to have a reeducation on the "Manual of Arms"......
The perp is one lucky dude in my opinion given such a reckless action by this officer.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong, but I think as soon as a threat is gone you should put your weapon in at least condition three if not condition four. Maybe I suffer from OCD or something but I cant have a weapon in condition one unless there is a imminent threat or I am on the firing line, otherwise I go nuts thinking about it.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:33:13 AM »
I love how it was handled "internally".  If that had been any of us our names would have been all over the news and charges would have been filed.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
If they had issued silencers no one would have had to know about it.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

partsman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
My daddy, rest his soul, beat it into my head to unload my rifle as soon as I was finished with it. This incident shows that there is a double standard for cops and the general population.  As far as I am concerned the man should loose his job.  This is a perfect example of a diluted gene pool where "some" people think they know more that others and have one hell of a chip on their shoulder, and honestly, are the jerks they think they are not.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:22 PM »
Bkoenig got the scary part which most every one else has sorta glossed over.

Let's look at it again:

The matter was  internally investigated and handled, Lynch said.

That's the scary part.

Where are the Nosy Newsies on this one??

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:46:44 PM »
Topic Locked!

We have had enough cop bashing. Move on
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:47:50 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.