< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Adjucated Mentally Ill  (Read 602 times)

Offline Sig Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Adjucated Mentally Ill
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »
With all of the talk of ERPO laws coming in from everywhere I wonder if we can’t use the laws already on the books.  Adjucating someone mentally ill and a danger to others.  With mass shootings being tied to mental health and this being one of the questions on ATF paperwork to purchase a firearm it seems a better way to go.  With adjucating someone mentally ill it seems to allow due process that red flag laws does not.  https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=71-908

Just another way to persuade representatives when you call them out of voting for red flag/ERPO laws....Thoughts?

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Adjucated Mentally Ill
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »
This is exactly what I said to President Trump, Deb Fischer, Adrian Smith, and Ben Sasse in my E_Mails to them concerning the expected discussion on gun control when Congress reconvenes this fall. There are already laws on the books that address the people with mental health problems and that ERPO/Red Flag laws would be an unnecessary and duplicate law. I also pointed out that these laws violate the Due Process clause of the 5th amendment.
If you can read this thank a teacher, because it is in English thank a soldier.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Re: Adjucated Mentally Ill
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Nebraska already allows for intervention with protective custody (that removes the person from all firearm) and requires the facility to have the person evaluated within 36 hours. Neb Rev Stat. 71-919
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."