< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Transporting a rifle in the City of Omaha  (Read 823 times)

Offline UncleChilly

• Forum Member
Transporting a rifle in the City of Omaha
« on: September 03, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
The Omaha Municipal Code provides:

Sec. 20-195. - Possession or transportation of firearms.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly or purposely transport in any conveyance or in any other manner, or to possess off his own premises, any rifle, shotgun, air gun, air rifle, paint ball gun or machine gun unless the same is unloaded and contained in any enclosed gun case, or unloaded and broken down. The removal of the bolt from any such firearm or carrying the same in a holster type gun case without further breaking down such firearm shall not be deemed to be in compliance with the requirements of this section.

The section goes on to provide exclusions for law enforcement, National Guard, ROTC, etc.

BUT, being stopped with a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle is a violation.

The penalty is a $500 fine, 6 months imprisonment or both.

I was not aware of this until recently.  Different jurisdictions have different rules.

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
Re: Transporting a rifle in the City of Omaha
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:55:49 AM »
Your fine post exemplifies why State municipality preemption law is a must... but just consider Omaha's goofy, LOL law:
(1) Thank goodness no Omahan is allowed to transport a loaded paint gun in a F150!  (Sleep well tonight my little hoplophobes).
(2) An unloaded single shot air gun - with missing bolt - under the 3rd seat of a minivan could be, truly, "death on wheels."  Thank the Lord our Omaha Betters knew to identify this great risk!
(3) Is anyone - anyone? - ANYONE? - Bueller? - running around with a MACHINE GUN in their car in Omaha?  (I would, but my spare $60,000 is invested in home schooling me wee shooters).  Did I miss the World-Herald special report on "Local Convenience Stores close due to Machine Gun Shootings?"
(4) I'm still searching the internet for a "holster type gun case" for my 32-inch barrel Browning Citori 725.
(5) This law refers to the actions of "any person" so I want to know... if my Tesla is in autopilot mode and my semi-auto shot gun is in the trunk - but the loaded 50 round drum is up front with me  -  can I just ignore this crap?
(6) Just what is an "enclosed gun case?"  I kinda prefer unenclosed gun cases - or cases with glass or plastic display windows that can be easily broken - to respond to deadly emergencies.  Do I have to buy the "enclosed gun case" at a retail/online store or can I craft my own?  I'm thinking something like an unloaded firearm on the front passenger seat in a home-made 5-sided wooden box - complete with Plastic Wrap across the top to "seal" it - and the loaded mags separately kept in my center console.  Are we good?
(7)  I have quite a number of "little friends" that I've loved for decades and you know what... I've NEVER broken them down beyond removing the bolt for cleaning, inspection and general admiration of the skill it took to manufacture these amazing tools.  Are my Omaha Betters actually suggesting that my inert, unloaded, magazine-free, Anchutz Youth Rifle - stand back, people, it's a fully bolt-action 22 caliber magazine-fed multi-round killing instrument - is a public threat even sans magazine?  And still a threat also sans bolt?  How irrational can the law be?

Nebraska... you can do better.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Transporting a rifle in the City of Omaha
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
Except the anti-2A OPOA (Omaha Police Union) will always have greater sway than the majority of apathetic gun owners.