< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Georgia Dem doesn't understand the meaning of "automatic"  (Read 612 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Georgia Dem doesn't understand the meaning of "automatic"
« on: December 18, 2019, 10:27:35 PM »
With all the news currently about Virginia, I thought I'd share a bit of hilarity coming from Georgia in the form of "gun control".  Donzella James (a Dem, of course), wrote a bill meant to ban magazines greater than 6 rounds.  Unfortunately for her, she can't seem to grasp what the meaning of automatic is, and thus wrote a bill that will do squat.

(4) so as to prohibit the possession of automatic and
5 semi-automatic guns; to revise and provide for definitions; to revise the nomenclature for
6 weapons which shoot or are designed to shoot, automatically, more than six shots, without
7 manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger;

So, semi-automatics which shoot, automatically, more than six shots without reloading?

*sigh*

24 As used in this part, the term:
25 (1) 'Automatic or semi-automatic gun' means any weapon which shoots or is designed
26 to shoot:
27 (A) Automatically, more than six shots, without manual reloading, by a single function
28 of the trigger; or
29 (B) Without any action needed to fire consecutive shots, other than having ammunition
30 loaded in such weapon's feeding device.

I'm sorry, but what semi-automatic will allow you to fire automatically just by having additional ammo loaded?  Thank the Lord for ignorant politicians.

50 (4)(5) 'Sawed-off rifle' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and
51 intended to be fired from the shoulder; and designed or redesigned, made or remade, to
52 use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile
53 through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;

Apparently, a "sawed-off rifle" can only be a semi-automatic, except we were told earlier that semi-automatics are also automatics, so I'm very confused right now......or she is.  I'm going with she's the one confused.

58 (6)(7) 'Shotgun' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended
59 to be fired from the shoulder; and designed or redesigned, and made or remade, to use the
60 energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a
61 number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger

So, good news.  If you have an automatic shotgun, it's not classified as a shotgun under this ruling.

Of course, it's not all fun and games.  This bill literally wants to ban all semi-automatic guns.

66 16-11-122.
67 No person shall have in his or her possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle,
68 machine automatic or semi-automatic gun, large capacity magazine, dangerous weapon,
69 or silencer except as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.

So, who's allowed to own these "scary" guns?

76 16-11-124.
77 This part shall not apply to:
78 (1) A peace officer of any duly authorized police agency of this state or of any political
79 subdivision thereof, or a law enforcement officer of any department or agency of the
80 United States who is regularly employed and paid by the United States, this state, or any
81 such political subdivision, or an employee of the Department of Corrections of this state
82 who is authorized in writing by the commissioner of corrections to transfer or possess
83 such firearms while in the official performance of his or her duties;
84 (2) A member of the National Guard or of the armed forces of the United States to wit:
85 the army, navy, marine corps, air force, or coast guard who, while serving therein,
86 possesses such firearm in the line of duty;
I skipped section 3, as it just mentions guns rendered inoperative.
92 (4) Possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine automatic or
93 semi-automatic gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer by a person who is authorized to
94 possess the same because he or she has registered the sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle,
95 machine automatic or semi-automatic gun, large capacity magazine, dangerous weapon,
96 or silencer in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act, 68A Stat. 725
97 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862); and
98 (5) A security officer employed by a federally licensed nuclear power facility or a
99 licensee of such facility, including a contract security officer, who is trained and qualified
100 under a security plan approved by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission or
101 other federal agency authorized to regulate nuclear facility security; provided, however,
102 that this exemption shall apply only while such security officer is acting in connection
103 with his or her official duties on the premises of such nuclear power facility or on
104 properties outside the facility property pursuant to a written agreement entered into with
105 the local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the facility. The exemption
106 under this paragraph does not include the possession of silencers.

So, police, military and security guards (meaning: their private security) will all be allowed to own them.  She graciously allows people who registered their guns under the NFA, to keep them as well.  That's it.  No one else would be permitted to own these automatic semi-automatic firearms.  Would they be more or less powerful than a fully semi-automatic?

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Georgia Dem doesn't understand the meaning of "automatic"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
Funny stuff. I've seen many examples of such stupidity. Maybe it isn't stupidity as much as it is to fool non-gun owners of something that isn't true. Besides, I don't see any reason for the NFA or the 1986 Hughes Amendment but they're unlikely to be repealed. It also makes me wonder why the police and private security should be allowed to have automatic firearms as well as other NFA items but not us low-lifes. Well, we can get NFA items but us low-lifes have to jump through a lot of hoops to get them AND because of the 1986 Hughes Amendment we aren't allowed to purchase newly manufactured machine guns ("thank" you Ronald Reagan).
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA