< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Firearms Purchase Certificate question  (Read 750 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Firearms Purchase Certificate question
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
I noticed something of interested while reading through LB 816 again while on a conference call.

Nebraska Revised Statute 69-2404 defines the requirement for a purchase certificate,  application process, and the associated fee.

The statute begins by saying:
"Any person desiring to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate. The application may be made in person or by mail."

My question is, has anyone applied for this permit through the mail? If so, was the application processed?  I am only aware of in person applications.  This caught my eye, wondering if the current statute and actual practice differ.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Firearms Purchase Certificate question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:43:47 PM »
Ive been long time holder of the Nebraska Firearm Purchase Certificate, or "Blue Card."   Likewise, have also held a Nebraska Concealed Handgun Permit since 2007.  Belt+Suspenders kind of thing, I guess.   

Same as you, I've noted the "by mail" provision in the Nebraska statute, but have always applied for the certificate in person.   What the heck, you have to go to the sheriff's Office to obtain the application form anyhow.   And I've never known of anyone else who actually has applied for the Blue Card certificate by mail.   Fewer and fewer folks seem to apply for the Blue Card, perhaps preferring to use their NE CHP instead for their handgun purchases.

I'll always remember my very first visit, when a Douglas County plain-clothes deputy, after asking me why I was at the sheriff's office, said to me, "You have absolutely no business with something like that".

And I've noticed that some sellers are asking for either an NE CHP or Nebraska Firearm Purchase Certificate in order for a purchase to buy a rifle or shotgun.   So far as I know, there is no requirement whatsoever for a Blue Card to be involved in a long gun transaction in this state.

Further, I'm guessin' that if anybody applies to the Omaha Police Department for a Blue Card, they get a stony look and are then told to go to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

I'm thinkin' we ought to get one of our frequent Forum posters to try out some of this application stuff and then report the results back here for discussion.

FWIW

sfg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 02:46:31 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer