< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Firearm Purchase Permit  (Read 1283 times)

Offline sbking

• Forum Member
Firearm Purchase Permit
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:52 PM »
I have a purchase permit.  I have since moved.  I tried to purchase a new pistol at cabelas, with my new DL (I needed a new one as it was expiring) and they stated that once you move, the permit becomes invalid.

As far as I can tell, the statutes do not state that it becomes invalid if you move.  I also cannot find much information about this.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge along these lines?

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
Re: Firearm Purchase Permit
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 09:40:19 PM »
Did you move to another County? I really don't have an answer for you but am sure someone will know more.
If you get a CHP, you no longer need a handgun purchase permit.
Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline sbking

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:46:58 PM »
Yes, I moved to another county.

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 07:51:07 AM »
I moved to another county 5 years ago, and had to get my license and conceal carry switched over to the new address within 60 days.  It's a safe bet that the same goes with the permit.  What does the State Police web site say?

Offline sbking

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 08:18:04 AM »
I looked at the sheriff's website, along with other sheriff's websites and they all dau basically the same thing, but it it's very vague with nothing specifically on point.

It only says that the permit becomes invalid in the sheriff says so or it expires after 3 years.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
I'm guessing that the "place of residence" reference in the statute would require a person to obtain a new certificate if they moved.  Just a guess on my part though.

Nebraska Revised Statute 69-2404: Any person desiring to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »
I have a purchase permit.  I have since moved.  I tried to purchase a new pistol at cabelas, with my new DL (I needed a new one as it was expiring) and they stated that once you move, the permit becomes invalid.

As far as I can tell, the statutes do not state that it becomes invalid if you move.  I also cannot find much information about this.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge along these lines?

While the purchase permit is still valid Cabela's requires it to have an address that matches your Drivers License and the address you put on the form. There are some other dealers that also do that, take the CHP requirement to include the purchase certificate and they can do that.