< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sig P320 lawsuit claims numerous unintended discharges  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Sig P320 lawsuit claims numerous unintended discharges
« on: July 08, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »
If you have and carry a P320, you may want to put it away for the time being.  A lawsuit is currently proceeding in which they detail multiple reports (even as recent as June, 2020, with the supposedly fixed trigger upgrade) wherein the gun would unintentionally discharge, without anyone touching the trigger, and even without the trigger being exposed (e.g. it's still firmly holstered).  This has reportedly been confirmed several times with recordings from shooting ranges and from body/dash cam video from officers.  Guns & Gadgets just uploaded a video, wherein he breaks down the various different reports from the lawsuit of the many instances of unintentional discharges.  If you EDC this gun, you would be well advised to hold off and switch to another one for the time being.  Better that than risk being shot by your own gun (or even worse, shooting someone else), just because you jostled the holster a little too hard.

For reference, here's the link to the court case filing: https://bit.ly/2O4MjPV

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Sig P320 lawsuit claims numerous unintended discharges
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
wow never heard of any of those incidence with the Sig 320 .. and i hope that this dose not trickle into other striker fired Sig models as i own a Sig P 365 for EDC

I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 07:01:17 PM »
Well, that was fast.  There's already a proposed settlement for the CAL.

*EDIT*
Never mind, this was from another lawsuit.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 09:27:21 AM »
Since your source is a YOUTUBE video and you have shown that your credentials and knowledge of SIG is without reproach, I choose to ignore this.  He talks about a SIG with a Manual Safety, he talks about  SIG that he admits did not go back for the repair, which makes him unreliable as a source.  The  manual Safety locks the entire action, while the upgrade has a firing pin block that can only be release when the trigger is fully pressed.  I have not found 1 reputable major gunsmith on many of their websites mention this.  Wilson even uses this weapon for his enhancements (but other that a gray guns type trigger, everything remans the same)
So until I hear something official; i.e. a recall, a major news break by several leading gun magazines that I trust, I will just continue to use my 320.  Oh, by the way, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you re-holster.  There is no such thing as speed holstering.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »
Since your source is a YOUTUBE video and you have shown that your credentials and knowledge of SIG is without reproach, I choose to ignore this.
I'm just passing it along because it appears to be a serious concern.  If you prefer, here's a link to the actual filing in court (which was also linked from that first video).
https://bit.ly/2O4MjPV

He talks about a SIG with a Manual Safety, he talks about  SIG that he admits did not go back for the repair, which makes him unreliable as a source.  The  manual Safety locks the entire action, while the upgrade has a firing pin block that can only be release when the trigger is fully pressed.  I have not found 1 reputable major gunsmith on many of their websites mention this.  Wilson even uses this weapon for his enhancements (but other that a gray guns type trigger, everything remans the same)
If you watched the video, he reported that people experienced the issues even AFTER sending them back for the "voluntary upgrade".  He mentioned his wasn't upgraded, not because he experienced the issue, but simply to report that his was still the original trigger.

So until I hear something official; i.e. a recall, a major news break by several leading gun magazines that I trust, I will just continue to use my 320.  Oh, by the way, keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you re-holster.  There is no such thing as speed holstering.
By all means, continue to do as you see fit.  I personally would be hesitant until further word came from the lawsuit, but I'm just passing the information along.  As for holstering, he specifically mentioned cases listed in the lawsuit where the pistol wasn't even removed from the holster, and yet managed to unintentionally discharge.  You do you, I'm not trying to tell you what you have to do personally.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:51:56 PM »
Still no facts. So just for fun:  Jun 25 from the National interest.org talks about  discharges from glocks with light triggers, so no glock for me.  Next:  Tacticallife.com talks about  inertia discharges from Colt's 1911 type pistols, so no 1911s for me.  And finally: from the Firearm Blog, it talks about how los angeles sheriffs departments negligent discharges greatly increased when the switched from Berettas to M&P.  The whole point is wait for Facts to come out either from a very reliable source or the company themselves.  In years of instructing firearms ALL of the AD/NDs were from poor weapons handling or complete lack of maintenance on the firearm.  So I will wait and respectfully disagree with you on this.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
Still no facts. So just for fun:  Jun 25 from the National interest.org talks about  discharges from glocks with light triggers, so no glock for me.  Next:  Tacticallife.com talks about  inertia discharges from Colt's 1911 type pistols, so no 1911s for me.  And finally: from the Firearm Blog, it talks about how los angeles sheriffs departments negligent discharges greatly increased when the switched from Berettas to M&P.  The whole point is wait for Facts to come out either from a very reliable source or the company themselves.  In years of instructing firearms ALL of the AD/NDs were from poor weapons handling or complete lack of maintenance on the firearm.  So I will wait and respectfully disagree with you on this.
You seem to be pretty offended by my posting this.  I'm just passing along information I found.  As for facts, all I have is the court filing.  If that's not "fact" enough for you, then feel free to ignore it as you see fit.  As I already said, you do you.

I did suggest not EDC'ing it in my first post, because it appears to be a pretty serious issue, but I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do.  It just seemed to be information worth spreading.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 07:33:43 PM »
  In years of instructing firearms ALL of the AD/NDs were from poor weapons handling or complete lack of maintenance on the firearm.  So I will wait and respectfully disagree with you on this.

in the video they talk about a few Leo's guns going off while "in the holster" , while getting out of a patrol car and another tripped and fell chasing a perp , his gun went off while all so holstered... few were even caught on dash cam video it said....

search found these stories
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/07/09/deputy-sues-sig-sauer-p320s-alleged-accidental-discharge/

https://whyy.org/articles/septa-police-to-get-new-service-weapons-after-sig-pistol-accidentally-fires-at-suburban-station/

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2018/06/investigates/sig-sauer-p320-drop-fire/
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”