< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR- handling  (Read 2432 times)

A-FIXER

AR- handling
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:14:12 AM »
I've been watching the outdoor channel and on shooting USA, and others some experts say they suggest a front most hold on an ar for an inproved balance and reaquire targets more so at a faster pace. Most suggest not to hold close to the mag well so.... What do you guy's think? yes the peg handle is on method, but I guess what if you have optics mounted on it and the spare carry handle mounted to the underside of the forearm to allow a slotted opening one could grip. Or is this just GOOFY? Looking just for your thoughts.
Thanks A-fixer

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
Re: AR- handling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »
In the Marine Corps we were taught to never hold the magwel because it may/does cause weapons malfunctions.

I really like the broom handle,

and have been recently looking at Magpul's new forward grip..
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
I use vertical fore grips on all my AR's.  The new Magpul AFG shown above would be OK if I did not want to mount bipods, but I do.

Aaron, we need to work out a deal for those rails I have for sale. I know using a VFG on the standard handguards is very sloppy cuz I tried it too.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
I do not like a mag well grip as it makes the rifle more difficult to control in terms of recoil and swing.  It can also get pretty hot.

I'd recommend gripping the foreend far enough forward that it's comfortable.  If you can make it to the FSB, all the better. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Aaron, we need to work out a deal for those rails I have for sale. 

I have already decided to go with the MOE Handguard in rifle-length and also get one of their VFGs that attach directly to the handguards. No Rails Needed!

After that I'm getting a Magpul UBR, Magpul BAD Lever and BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. So much for a KISS rifle. Then Im getting a second lower, a 16" 6.8 stag upper and a Magpul CTR.

I think my BRD case is terminal.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:10:17 AM »
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:04 AM »
 :o :o :o

Now THAT is Tacti-cool!!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »
did you notice his cross draw holster as well, kind of odd for a LEO.

A-FIXER

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
Thanks guys for the info, I just didn't know if it would be feesible to use the carry handle the if the rifle dropped and the optics broke you would have your back up iron sights close at hand... I attended a benifet for a child in shelton couple of weeks ago and I saw the local lawman had his firearm set for a cross draw as well. I would think if some nut attempted to charge him the attacker would have the upperhand at grabbing the pistol with the grip facing him than away from him.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
Is his thumb stuck through the front sight base?

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
I would think if it was it get mighty warm after going through is 20 rd mag.