< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Transfers to Family members  (Read 2373 times)

Offline winterwalker

• Forum Member
Transfers to Family members
« on: October 25, 2020, 08:08:13 AM »
Howdy folks, I've moved back to the area after a long time away. I've  owned firearms for many years, but never in NE before now. Is anyone able to fill me in on the state requirements for transferring a handgun or rifle to a family member?

Thanks!

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Transfers to Family members
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:41:00 AM »
For any handgun the recipient must have a valid purchase permit or a Concealed Handgun Permit before you can transfer it.  Long guns are different, as long as not prohibited by law: i.e. Convicted Felon, Convicted of misdemeanor spousal abuse, you are good to go.  Note:  Lincoln and Omaha may have some other restrictions, such as misdemeanor marijuana conviction which would not allow possession in those jurisdictions.  Please check with local law enforcement of an attorney if any doubt.  State Patrol does real good in giving good no nonsense replies.

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »

Nebraska State Statute 69-2403 specifies that a handgun purchase certificate is not necessary if the transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent. 

Other than those relationships,  a permit is required to receive a handgun.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »

Nebraska State Statute 69-2403 specifies that a handgun purchase certificate is not necessary if the transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent. 

and i believe that step children are included under child designation
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »
Now that I read this, I believe grandchild should be added amendment to receive (e).  Because, law or no law, I/we know this type of transfer is happening.

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2403

69-2403.
Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.
(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.

(2) The certificate shall not be required if:

(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;

(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;

(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or

(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

Source
Laws 1991, LB 355, § 2;
Laws 2010, LB817, § 4.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 09:02:21 AM by zofoman »
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline winterwalker

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 09:20:24 AM »

Thank you!