< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: .223 vs 5.56 which is best for hunting?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline gary09

• Post approval required
.223 vs 5.56 which is best for hunting?
« on: November 09, 2020, 03:58:16 AM »
When we talk about .223 and 5.56 both are identical in shape. In fact, we can load a .223 in a 5.56 chamber and both cartridges are widely used in AR guns. So the question is. Is it possible to hunt big games like a Bear or Deer in any of these cartridges or? Is there any step by step procedure about how to build a gun to make it for hunting.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
Re: .223 vs 5.56 which is best for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 08:30:30 AM »
You are actually trying to compare what is essentially the same caliber round. The .223 round is good to use for deer hunting but I would definitely not recommend this round for hunting bear or elk. For hunting game larger than a deer I would recommend getting a larger caliber round.
I picked up a .270 WSM for my hunting.
As far as how to build a rifle, I would hit YouTube as there are plenty of videos on how to do it. The actual components you select for that build are going to be a personal choice as we all have different preferences for manufacturers.

Good luck on your build, it is a fun project for sure.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
5.56/.223 is marginal for use hunting deer and many states have a minimum energy level requirement for hunting that may rule out its use for hunting.

You location says Tampa, and that makes me wonder why You are here

A cursory glance at a Google search for gary09 seems to indicate you are not here for legitimate reasons. You purport to be a technical blogger on gun building, yet display little to no experience in the subject.

Moderator, as former Admin of this site,  I am concerned that this user is actually a bot and suggest that NFOA  keep it restricted in access to our site
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 11:51:47 AM by LJUnaTIC »
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 11:53:43 AM »
If you are going to use either .223 or 5.56 the issue is finding one loaded with a suitable bullet designed for hunting deer.

FMJ/Ball, Match, and any of the Hollow Point bullets will not work  for deer.  They either not expand or will expand to rapidly and not penetrate.  Also watch out for most plastic point bullets as they are designed for small game.

Look for a bonded bullet that is designed for deer or hog.

Or go to a larger caliber, even staying with an AR15 there are a lot of more effective cartridges available.

John K

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 06:11:03 PM »
  gary 09 also just joined https://10mm-firearms.com/profile/?u=4126  10-9 also,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 01:52:45 PM »
Nevermind, should've read the whole thread before responding. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 01:54:46 PM by Les »

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »
Moderator, as former Admin of this site,  I am concerned that this user is actually a bot and suggest that NFOA  keep it restricted in access to our site

Any out of state accounts on the forum are put on post approval required, until it can be determined if the account should be retained.  They have no special access with an account, that they couldn't also gain by browsing as a guest.  There is nothing to restrict.  NFOA membership requires residency in Nebraska, the forum does not have such a restriction.