< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Address change turnaround time?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Address change turnaround time?
« on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
I entered an address change request online on Feb 8. As of Feb 25th I have not received my updated permit.

The last time I did this was about 3 years ago and I recall getting the permit within a week.

Has anyone heard of slowdowns due to coronaplague or anything else?

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Address change turnaround time?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
In case anyone else is waiting...

I just called NSP. Apparently they are over a month behind on processing address changes. Today they are processing changes that were submitted on Jan 11.

I recall the statute allowing them 5 days to process an address change, but a quick search didn't reveal anything.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
EDITED AFTER ORIGINAL REPLY .... See Aldo's comment below.
To that end, NSP legal has confirmed that your current CHP is still valid while awaiting your new permit with address change.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:45:58 AM by bullit »

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:43:49 AM »
There is nothing in the CHP statutes dealing with time frame to issue address change.  The 5 days you may be thinking of applies to 5 business days for issuance of renewal permit.
To that end, NSP legal has confirmed that your current CHP is still valid while awaiting your new permit with address change.

Maybe that's where I got the 5 day period from.

I was under the impression your permit became invalid if the address was not correct. You don't happen to have a link to that statement, do you?

Thanks!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 03:00:06 PM »
No link.  A phone to call to NSP legal ... NOT the first gal to answer the phone at CID.

Maybe that's where I got the 5 day period from.

I was under the impression your permit became invalid if the address was not correct. You don't happen to have a link to that statement, do you?

Thanks!

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 06:34:51 PM »
Thanks, bullit!

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 09:07:49 PM »
Statute 014 "CHANGE OF NAME OR ADDRESS OF PERMIT HOLDER".
Subsection 014.01 notes that permit holders who do this are required to notify the NSP in writing within 30 days of the change.
Subsection 014.02 notes that the permit holder may obtain a replacement permit by.... ...the NSP shall issue a replacement permit within 5 working days of receiving the request.

I was personally involved with such address change this past summer and followed the statute and subsections. The information process is on the NSP website https://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/services/concealed-handgun-permits/how-apply/renew/update-name-address. Their site also allows you to do the address change online with their link https://www.nebraska.gov/apps-nsp-chp/, which I did and printed off the receipt to keep with me while I was waiting for the replacement CHP within the expected 5 working days of having submitted the requested information.

By week 3 of not having received the renewal permit, I called NSP who politely informed me that they were behind because they were processing about 2,200 CHP applications at the time. They also told me that I was covered by the receipt should I be officially stopped by LEO while I had a discrepancy of addresses between my new driver's license and my current CHP.

I received the renewal permit during week 6 from the initial online submission.

Hope this helps.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 03:15:54 PM »

By week 3 of not having received the renewal permit, I called NSP who politely informed me that they were behind because they were processing about 2,200 CHP applications at the time. They also told me that I was covered by the receipt should I be officially stopped by LEO while I had a discrepancy of addresses between my new driver's license and my current CHP.

Thanks!

It would be nice if they'd make this common knowledge...