< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Current Processing/Waiting Time for CHP Permits?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
    • ShadduckPhotography.com
Current Processing/Waiting Time for CHP Permits?
« on: May 17, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »
I know what the statute says but just curious if anyone knows how much actual time it is currently taking. As of 5/17/2021 I'm on day 35. A little impatient I suppose. I got my first CHP in Nebraska 11 years ago... moved to Colorado five years later and had to wait out the new permit there, am now again a Nebraska resident and waiting again. After carrying most days during the last 11 years it seems an eternity waiting. Expecting the full 45 days, if not more, but curious if any better news is possible.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Current Processing/Waiting Time for CHP Permits?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
Submitted my renewal on 1 Feb and the permit was issued on 19 March.

John K

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
Just got mine a couple of weeks ago.  Took exactly 6 weeks from sending to getting the new card.  I too was getting anxious cause the old one expired last week.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
Looks like it will be 50+ Days...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
I called the NSP CID branch to inquire on Friday (5/28) which was day #46. They looked it up, said it looks like they have everything they need just waiting for someone to get time to issue it (that is literally what I was told). She said today, 5/28/2021, permits going out were applied for on April 8. Based on that she thought my April 12th application would issue sometime next week. A little frustrating that the NSP can disregard the statutory 45-day "must issue" requirement. No apology, no excuses, just waiting for "someone to get time" to do it. Could be worse, I waited 60 days in Colorado, just venting a little frustration.

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
Now on day 53... Re: Current Processing/Waiting Time for CHP Permits?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:17:20 PM »
UPDATE: So, it's now day 53. Called again and was told "it looks like it was completed yesterday... should see it later this week or next week." She said it was "completed," didn't say it was printed, issued, or mailed out. Yep, am impatient. After carrying almost daily for 11 years, including a 5-yr stint in Colorado (where my wait was longer but greatly eased as it's legal there to carry in a vehicle for your protection without a permit, as it's considered an extension of your home -- now there's an addendum of statute worth pursuing) it's been a long 53 days!

Offline AlanS

• Powder Benefactor
Final UPDATE: Received on Day 54
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »
Just to close this out, here's the final timeline:
April 12, 2021 -- Application Submitted
June 3, 2021 -- Permit Issued, 52 days after application was submitted
June 5, 2021 -- Permit received in the mail, 54 days after application.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »
Glad you have a happy but belated ending.
I just don't see that CHP permits are a priority at the NSP.
Funny that NSP can be continuously late with renewals, but the permit holder is held to a much greater standard if they attempt to renew late.
Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
Complaints about administration of state laws should go to the Ombudsman. Perhaps anybody who doesn't get their  CHP or renewal CHP on time should send a letter or stop by the Ombudsman's office. This is a recurring problem and a little heat on the feet may make a difference.
 Perhaps a thread where people post that they've sent letters can show the ongoing problem. After twenty or so letters, perhaps the NFOA can contact the ombudsman's office to follow up.
Just a thought...

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 12:45:13 PM »
More importantly, the AG's office needs to be informed.
Previous AG Jon Brunig had a "come to Jesus" meeting with the NSP in 2012 when similar actions were occurring then.  They were essentially forced to get it figured out, and hire more staff.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 04:48:32 PM »
Can confirm.  Just called today.  I filed mine 3 weeks ago.  I thought the renewal was still 30 days, not 120 days (that's my fault).  Regardless, if they were meeting the statutory requirements it wouldn't matter.

Regardless, now I get to either not carry or take my chances with explaining to an officer why my permit is expired until I get my new one.  Neither is a great option. 

I didn't yell at the person on the phone or anything (it's not her fault), but someone (in charge of the office) should be getting yelled at. 

I was told they're on mid-April right now.  So that means I might get mine in mid-July when it expires mid-June.  Yay....

Offline tackle8

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 05:09:40 PM »
I have talked to a person in the NSP office that processes the permits.  They indicated that they do not have enough staff to process them.  They are swamped, and are working as many hours as they are allowed.  The workers processing the permits are not the problem, it goes higher than them.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 05:12:55 PM »
I agree.  That was the point I was trying to make.  It's at least the CID division manager's fault if not higher.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
https://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/divisions/ombud.php
clicking on the link to file a complaint, it states it may be as easy as a phone call.  Although an email will show a record of the complaint.
Hopefully, Bullit is having some success with the AG
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:45:14 PM by omaharj »

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
Just going to add my experience here. Submitted for renewal on May 23. Saw this post afterwards, was going to monitor my renewal time, and life got in the way (busy with traveling for kids sports).

Realized today I hadn't gotten my renewal yet, so I called. The woman that answered the phone, Julie, said they had finalized it yesterday and I "should be getting something in the mail in the next few days."

Appears to be 52 days.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »
Got mine last week also.  I'd agree on the 45-50 days.  Perhaps *barely* within the statutory requirement.

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »
So, I complained to the ombudsman office, and this is the last response I got from them, after emailing previously asking for more info from me.

I was able to hear back from my contact at State Patrol about the permit issue. I was told that applications are processed in the order they are received, and there has been an extraordinary surge in CHP applications and that with complications due to COVID, there is a high volume of new and renewal applications, resulting in longer processing times than normal. He provided me with two phone numbers to contact if someone has a question about the status of their application. People can call the front desk at 402-479-4971 and ask to speak to someone on the permits team. Or, you can contact the CHP supervisor Brittne Westerman at 402-479-4915 with any questions.

Going to wait a little while before I respond again, and try to remind the individual from ombudsman gently that the state patrol has 45 days to issue the permit, and they are operating outside of that. I don't typically do gentle, so this will take a while.

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
So, as I was writing my response today, and doing some research, I came across this:

Nebraska Administrative Code, Title 272, Chapter 21, Nebraska State Patrol

Section 011, Renewal of Permits.

011.02 has this little gem (this is only part of the paragraph): The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) working days of receipt of the application for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit.

Looks to me like anyone that has to wait over about a week for a renewal of a permit, the state patrol is violating their requirements.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 04:58:40 PM »
I had a student recently tell me she waited 61 days...she got her permit July 19
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Hilowe:  The law was changed in 2010.  69-2430 (3)(b) states they have 45 days to issue renewed permit.  I would contact your state senator (hopefully they are 2A friendly) and state ombudsman's office.  If any other state agency wasn't complying with state law they would be in court (very expensive).

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »
Hilowe:  The law was changed in 2010.  69-2430 (3)(b) states they have 45 days to issue renewed permit.  I would contact your state senator (hopefully they are 2A friendly) and state ombudsman's office.  If any other state agency wasn't complying with state law they would be in court (very expensive).

The 5 days I quoted was directly out of the administrative code that is linked on the NSP website. I was looking for the actual law to see how long they had, and couldn't find the revised statute, just that administrative code.

As for the ombudsman office, that is who I was emailing and complaining to. Several emails back and forth, and end result was essentially they are doing their best and nothing more the ombudsman's office can do.

As for state senator, ha ha ha ha.... I got Steve "lawyer backing red flag laws" Lathrop. I've contacted him in the past about several things, spent the most time on the red flags. Gotten nothing for the time.