< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ammo Can Gun Case  (Read 1513 times)

Offline kmc_xd40

• Forum Member
Ammo Can Gun Case
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:56:56 AM »
Does anyone see anything wrong with using an old military ammo can as a gun case? I've seen them with eye bolts drilled into the front so they can be used as lock boxes too but would like to know if anyone has done this or if there are issues with doing so. I have a few unused 30Cal boxes laying around so I figured I'd make use of them. Just want to get some opinions.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Ammo Can Gun Case
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:03:44 PM »
Should work for you if you're not worried about scuffing your gun's finish. Maybe an old towel could help that. It wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple bags of dessicant. Those cans are supposed to be air tight so any humidity from when last opened will be trapped.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Ammo Can Gun Case
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
kmc_xd40:

You might want to consider putting a pistol rug inside the ammo can gun case to keep your handgun from being banged around and scuffed up while it's in the case.

Another option is to line the inside with foam glued onto the case sides, bottom, and top.

However, the pistol rug option is quicker and probably cheaper, if you count your time for anything at all.

And there are times when you might need the rug to transport the handgun, like when you're walking into Guns Unlimited, for example.

And the dessicant bags recommended up above are essential.   Unless you hold a preference for antiqued, rusty guns.

Bottom line:   It'll work for you.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer