< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha fires back at AG Jon Bruning and denies it is violating State Law  (Read 1627 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Here are the news stories regarding this:

http://www.ketv.com/news/22967659/detail.html

Bruning: Omaha's Gun Rules Against State Law
Opinion Says Concealed Carry Guns Shouldn't Have To Be Registered With City
POSTED: 2:05 pm CDT March 26, 2010
UPDATED: 2:33 pm CDT March 26, 2010

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Nebraska attorney general's office said the city of Omaha is violating state law by forcing people who have permits to carry concealed guns to also register their guns with the city.

The formal -- but not legally binding -- opinion issued Friday said Omaha's rule imposes a gun-possession regulation not allowed under a measure passed last year by lawmakers.

That law said cities can't have local rules barring people with conceal-carry permits from carrying concealed guns inside city limits. Background checks and training are required to get conceal-carry permits.

Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial introduced the clarification bill last year and asked Attorney General Jon Bruning's office about Omaha's rule. He called the opinion a victory for gun-rights supporters.

AND

http://www.ketv.com/news/22971938/detail.html

Omaha Challenges AG's Conceal-Carry Finding
City Prosecutor: Permit Holders Should Continue Registering Handguns
POSTED: 8:53 pm CDT March 26, 2010
UPDATED: 9:33 pm CDT March 26, 2010

OMAHA, Neb. -- Omaha city officials said they disagree with a written opinion from Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning that people with concealed-carry permits don't need to register their guns with the city.

Bruning said Omaha's handgun registration should not apply to concealed-carry permit holders. He said permit holders shouldn't have to jump through additional hoops.

City prosecutor Marty Conboy said the city just wants to know who has guns.

"By getting a registration, it simply gives us a chance to track the guns that are in the city, if they're missing, lost, stolen and if they turn up somewhere," he said.

He said the city's latest violence suggests why gun registration is so important.

"For decades, we've had an interest in Omaha of tracking handguns," he said. "They're dangerous, particularly in Omaha. We've had a problem with people using them illegally."

Even if the gun isn't used in a crime, he said stolen, registered guns often end up back where they belong.

"A huge number of handguns that are recovered from thefts are returned to the rightful owners through the registration process," Conboy said.

In a news release, Bruning said legislation passed in 2009 pre-empts municipal bans on carrying concealed handguns, including Omaha's ordinance to prohibit the possession of unregistered, concealable firearms.

"Registration has nothing to do with carrying a gun or possessing it," Conboy said.

He said he questions the logic of Bruning's written opinion, but said the city will look into the matter.

"The city will abide by whatever they say, and our goal is to follow the law and make sure we're doing everything legally," he said.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Folks, its time to write your state senator again urging them to support an amendment to LB 817 that would incorporate the language of LB 1033. A motion has already been made to accomodate this.

Offline 475okh

• NFOA Full Member
Kicking and screaming is how Omaha will come into compliance with State law.  The original statute seemed to be quite clear on the matter of local laws and control of concealed carry permit holders.  But then I am not a lawyer or a politician, hell I don't even stay at the Holiday Inn.  In my opinion Omaha's registration is more about the 10 dollars they extract from you than any crime fighting tool that would be of use to the local police.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
         "City prosecutor Marty Conboy said the city just wants to know who has guns"

Says it all right there, as far as I'm concerned.  A legal, law abiding, gun owner watch list!!  imo
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
         "City prosecutor Marty Conboy said the city just wants to know who has guns"

Says it all right there, as far as I'm concerned.  A legal, law abiding, gun owner watch list!!  imo

+1
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Thomas

• NFOA Full Member

"A huge number of handguns that are recovered from thefts are returned to the rightful owners through the registration process," Conboy said.

Do you think if this is true he should have provided real numbers?

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member

Do you think if this is true he should have provided real numbers?

Absolutely! Although I do believe that he is right in this regard, that is the ONLY benefit that registration can bring. It does NOT solve crimes. If it does, the number is likely very low. I would like to ask him how many out of all the homicides have been solved because of gun registration.

However, even if registration solved 75% of the crimes, it would not change my opinion that registration is an infringement on the 2nd Amendment. It is a threat to our right to keep and bear arms. Government has no business knowing who has a firearm or not. Period.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
A job well done for the Nebraska Legislature.