< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Iowa News  (Read 2162 times)

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
Iowa News
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
It is looking like Iowa has a real good shot at getting shall issue legislation passed this year. The session is winding down this year, but today, should see a vote both the senate and the house for the NRA backed shall issue bill. It looked to be dead in the water until a few weeks ago when the leaders of both chambers submitted companion bills with the exact language originally written by the NRA. If this passes, Iowa will join the ranks of shall issue states and will also allow anyone with any state issued permit to carry legally with its borders.

It is a very exciting day over in Iowa, and I wish I could have made the trip to be in Des Moines to see the process as it happens. I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens today on the other side of the river.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."   -Daniel Boone

"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."   -Clint Eastwood

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Re: Iowa News
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Hey...thanks for keeping us posted on this!   ;D

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
I'm listening to the full senate debate on the bill right now. You can listen to it here if you want.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/Audio/Audio.html
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."   -Daniel Boone

"I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."   -Clint Eastwood

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
Is 2379 the Shall issue bill ?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
Yes, 2379 is the shall issue bill. It just passed the senate. It heads to the house for a vote there now.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
Great , is there much opposition to passage in the House?

I look forward to visiting my wife's home town of Walnut again, soon after this passes
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
The house looks like it will be a much closer vote. If it passes the house and gets signed by Culver, the best guess is that it will go into effect Jan 1, 2011.

This is the farthest any Shall Issue bill has gone, and if it does get signed into law, the people of Iowa need to send a big thank you to both the NRA and Iowa Carry for the extremely hard work that was put into it this year. I hope I can pass along better news later this afternoon. Gotta do some work around the house, but will check in with whats happening in Des Moines and keep an update over here too.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
They aren't going to vote on the bill tonight. It now looks like they are extending this years session (was planned to end yesterday) through at least monday. It looks like it will be late Monday before the house votes on the NRA bill.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
Oh man! I have been following this one very closely too. I have family in Iowa and travel there almost on a yearly basis. I also do target practice there as well. I hope this passes. It is much needed and long and hard fought for legislation. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »
and will also allow anyone with any state issued permit to carry legally with its borders.

Now did I understand you correctly? Iowa is going to automatically recognize all other 47 States' permits? They are not going to have the AG decide which states qualify? That is great news if its true. Maybe Iowa will be recognized by more states then.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:48:33 PM by DanClrk51 »

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:18:20 AM »
From what I understand, Iowa will automatically recognize all state issued permits. The only thing I am not sure of is if they will recognize a non-res permit from say Utah or Florida. I will ask some people that are more in the know and get back to you on it.

Offline dl_schneider

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »
WOOHOOOO!!!!!! PASSED THE HOUSE TODAY ON A 80-15 VOTE! Has to go back to the Senate to vote on one amendment that changed three little words that weren't needed and just clarifies the section they were in. Should pass through there again with no problem and then its to the governor. Last report is he has said that if it hits his desk, he will put his signature on it.

*UPDATE* Went immediately to the senate to vote on final adminstrative amendment. Passed Senate a second time with a 38-4 vote. It is on to Governer Culver for one final signature and Iowa will officially be a Shall-Issue state with recognition on January 1, 2011.

That noise you hear in the east is the cheering of Iowans who finally have equal protections under the law.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:52:58 PM by dl_schneider »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks for keeping track of this!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done by IowaCarry and it's members.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »
Well Done Iowa Carry!!!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
CCW dinner in CBIA in January, anyone?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.