< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for a Gunsmith to take off a Remmy 700 Varmint barrel  (Read 638 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Looking for a Gunsmith to take off a Remmy 700 Varmint barrel
« on: December 12, 2021, 07:51:25 PM »
My trusty old Remington 700 Varmint (chambered in the very exotic, exceedingly rare and little known .223 Remington cartridge)  :D appears to need a new barrel.   Several thousand rounds fired in prairie dog towns has done something to the throat of the barrel, like burned it out.   

So I'm thinking I'd like to have it removed so I can replace it with a Criterion (or other Remage) barrel, which sounds very much like a DIY project once the OEM barrel is removed.   I understand removing the factory Remington barrels can be difficult, even with the proper tools. 

Anyone know a 'smith inside Nebraska/maybe eastern Iowa who could pull the barrel off this rifle?

Thanks!!
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Looking for a Gunsmith to take off a Remmy 700 Varmint barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »
PM Sent.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Looking for a Gunsmith to take off a Remmy 700 Varmint barrel
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 10:58:54 PM »
 If he cant, I can take that off for you .
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016