< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ka-Boom.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Ka-Boom.
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
A friend of mine had his Glock blow up recently....... reloads were the apparent cause.  He has all his fingers still....... I'm just thinking that high pressure cartridges like .40 S&W, plastic guns, and handloading do not mix.........

Granted, a double charge or other error in handloading is likely going to be bad for any handgun, but I'm thinking that the lower pressures of .45 ACP, and all steel guns, when handloading give a lot bigger margin for error.

Jay, I know you have gone over to the Dark Side, and have also taken up handloading.........  be careful.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chad McCumbers

• NFOA Full Member
    • The Gun Shop
Re: Ka-Boom.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
.40 S&W Glocks have unsupported chambers.  Firing a reloaded case in a Glock that was previously fired in a Glock creates a situation where weakend brass must contain the pressure.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:08:59 AM »
Sooooooooooooo.......................   only by a glock igf you can afford to feed it store-bought ammo.......   I KNEW there was a reason .gubmint wasa pushing glockness..........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »
Haven't hand loaded any .40 yet, and not sure if I will. I trust my Speer Gold Dot 155 grain GDHP's and for no more shooting than I have been able to do lately, the Winchester White box practice ammo I already have should last a while.  :'(

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Shooting
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »
As far as not shooting much......... that is a bad thing.  More is better.   With that in mind, I found a dozen bowling pins in my garage the other day...........

Now, I just have to get some cases stuffed with bullets and powder........

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
I've shot thousands upon thousands of reloads in my .40 Glocks and never had one blow up.

My CCW teaching partner blew up one of his Glock .40's with a brand new KKM fully supported match barrel. Round was double charged we believe.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 08:59:45 PM »
I'm thinking I would rather have a Glock turn to plastic dust in my hands like this:

http://neccw.blogspot.com/2008/02/ammunition-safety-and-storage.html

Instead of a 1911 piece of steel twisting up like this in my hand:

http://www.thegunzone.com/1911a1-kb.html

Good reminders to pay attention to what the heck you are doing while at the reloading bench.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Myself.......
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »
.... given my druthers, I'd druther  have NIETHER (I like my guns).

That said.............. I think (IMHO- definitely humble- as I have only 10 yeears or so of pistol shooting (and even less reloading) experience) the glock platform in .40S&W, suffers a perfect storm of sorts, with respect to KaBooms:  You take a high pressure cartridge (for a pistol) like the modern 9mm, build a platform for it, then stuff an even HIGHER pressure cartridge into it, in an effort to equal the performance of a larger, low pressure catridge (the .45 ACP).  The platform, as designed, has a chamber that is not fully supported, and is hell on brass (being a high pressure cartridge) in the first place.  Add reloaders, many of of whom like to see how much velocity  they can squeeze out of a load....... each step along this path cuts a little piece off the safety margain designed into the platform.......... and if I have learned ONE thing in dealing with German (OK- it's Austrian, but there is a joke in Germany- The Austrians are so resistant to change that "the Germans WERE Nazis- the Austrians ARE Nazis.") Engineering, it is this: Do NOT exceed the design parameters.  If it says "do not exceed 6,000 rpm", 6,001 can cause things to go pear-shaped in a hurry.