< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bead Blasting  (Read 626 times)

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
Bead Blasting
« on: November 04, 2022, 02:27:45 PM »
I couldn't quite figure out where to put this. If it needs to be moved, sorry Mods. I'm just hoping to get the most eyeballs on it.

So, I have a Rossi 92 in 357 Magnum. It's a 16" stainless steel model I bought perhaps ten years ago. I put a Skinner peep sight on it. At the time I'd looked high and low for one in blued with a slightly longer barrel. I almost (almost) just picked up a Winchester 92, but just couldn't rationalize the 2.5x cost. So I just went with the stainless.

I've been thinking about having is blasted now for a couple years. I could ship it somewhere, but I think I'd rather find someone local where I can take it in person. Does anyone have any suggestions in the Omaha/Lincoln/Fremont tri-county area?

Or, alternatively, perhaps I should consider a different finish? Something like a cerakote or similar?

This rifle is mainly used as a target shooting rifle and trainer for those less familiar with firearms. It's also an easy to grab for things that go bump in the night house gun, and I could see pressing it into deer hunting service or out west on camping trips too. I'd like to make it a little more discreet for those purposes.
---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Bead Blasting
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 08:24:18 AM »
During my tour in industry, we often analyzed possible options, choices, etc.
Our analytical process usually included cost-benefit analyisis of an array of feasible alternatives.

We would usually ask these questions:

-Why do it THIS way...??
-Why do it THAT way...??
-Why do it AT ALL....??  (The Avoidance Option)

So applying the Avoidance Option to your Rossi 92, why do you want to do it all??   The blasting process will end up with the Rossi in matte finish.  Which is OK.  But then, stainless finish is pretty nice by itself.  And corrosion resistant.

Perhaps the cost of blasting the Rossi could instead be applied to your next firearms/accessory purchase.

Just thinkin' out loud, thassall.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
:-/

Actually, I have a 6.5 Grendel AR with a stainless barrel I had bead blasted by Alexander Arms when I bought it back in 2008. The color is fine, but the lack of glint or reflection is perfect. It really does mute the noticeability, and still lets me keep all the upsides of stainless. (It also has a walnut free-floated tube on it, and is out on loan right now killing whitetails, or I'd post a pic). One reason I have been considering having the same done to the Rossi now for going on two years. And as I mentioned, when I originally bought it I'd looked high and low for a blued.

So, I guess that means nobody knows a bead blaster in the area, eh?

---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 03:03:58 PM »
I just Googled "Bead blasting Omaha" and got a half-dozen places, including Michaels and Hobby Lobby.  The list won't copy, so I can't paste.  But you can Google better than I can.  Also, three other places popped when I Googled "bead blasting Lincoln".

Bottom Line:  So there's gotta be SOMEONE on those two lists who will do the job for you.

Thanks for the info on the "Why" of bead blasting.  I was just curious.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 02:40:19 PM »
I have a feeling places like Hobby Lobby are selling equipment that might be able to be used to do it. Kind of like Harbor Freight tool specials. I have gone down that road too and looked into DIY, but I just didn't trust myself enough to carry through...or that I wouldn't botch it.  ;D

I asked another friend who is pretty skilled at fabrication and wood projects. He suggested: https://www.keystonestripping.net/sandblasting

But I didn't get an answer when I called. I might try emailing them.

Considering your previous post too, I came up with a fourth question to ask myself;

- Going beyond why do it at all, do I even want to keep the rifle?

Anyway, thanks for your input.
---

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »
Y'know... Your post just tickled up a new thought:

Has to do with modification of firearms, rebluing, adding stuff onto the muzzle end, stockwork, other stuff, tc.

Here we go: IF you ever wish to sell the gun, and we often roll them over in the firearms market, there are purists out there who look upon modifications from factory specs as sacrilege.  And as far as I'm concerned, if they wish to do so, fine by me.  Their choice.

For example:
An "elderly" firearm that's been knocked around and nicked up a bit and then sent off for re-bluing.  It comes back all pretty and shiny, but the prospective buyer sniffs, "Ain't no good.  Been reblued."  You see the same reaction at car meets on restored automobiles.  Fair enough.  We've even seen those guys who go ga-ga over the original factory gun boxes, although I've NEVER seen anyone carry the original box out into the field.  Go figger.

So I'm making the point that modifying any firearm automatically cuts out a sizeable chunk of prospective buyers from the market. And--of course--you never get back the money that you added to the gun for the mods.

Final Analysis:  Your Gun.  Your choice.

Just Sayin'....................

sfg

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:10:11 AM by SemperFiGuy »