< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gunsmith in Gretna/Omaha area  (Read 715 times)

Offline Bored1

• NFOA Full Member
Gunsmith in Gretna/Omaha area
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »
Anyone know of a gunsmith in the Gretna/Omaha area? I have a contender and barrel that aren't getting along I need to have worked on. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Gunsmith in Gretna/Omaha area
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 12:51:53 PM »
FWIW.............

In recent years when I need work on my firearms, I contact Customer Service at the original manufacturer of the firearm that needs work.   And--if possible--get a shipper to send the firearm directly to the factory for repair.

Here's Why:

1) Really, really difficult to find a good gunsmith.
  Even to find Any Gunsmith of Any Kind.  Anywhere. When you do, it's a pig in a poke.  You have no idea of the quality of the work until the gun is returned.  If ever (sorta kidding here, but not a lot.) 

I've had some butchered guns, even after putting up listening to the gunsmith's spiel about how long he had been in the business, the great breadth of his experience on all kinds of firearms, and how really much better he was than just about everyone else.

2) It takes about the same time, both ways:  Local Guy or Factory Shipment.  And the Local Gunsmith still has to order parts from the factory.  Or Brownell's.  Local parts stocks are necessarily limited.

3) The factory knows its own firearms well. After all, they made them in the first place.  And we hope that Good Old Joe on the bench over by the window hasn't retired yet.  Plus they will be likely to have replacement parts in stock.  Or in GOJ's bottom drawer at his bench.

4) The factory will check for any recalls on the firearm.
Also, the factory will most likely know of any design quirks associated with that model.

5) Factory costs have always been reasonable, in my experience.  And several times I've gotten freebies and/or extras.

5)  I don't have to run all over, looking for a gunsmith.

So that's why I go back to the manufacturer's factory when I can.  It works for "regular" repairs.  Not so much for custom work.

YMMV

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Bored1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 12:59:54 PM »
I tried the manufacturer, however since S&W bought TC it seems they're not too sure what to do with the original contenders. I have a barrel that's not fitting my contender frame properly and won't open once installed, first they said send it back and they "may" be able to fix it by converting it to an easy open frame, or they may not be able to, but 8-12 weeks after receiving it they would let me know. They also had no ball park  of the cost, except possibly replacing it and charging me full retail for a new frame + work cost etc. Second time I called I was told new locking bolts should fix it and they sent them. That didn't resolve the issue and now they are back to the idea of send them the frame and basically a blank check and wait 12 weeks to see what happens.

So I'm trying to see if I can find someone local, before falling down the factory rabbit hole.

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
They are not local, but have you tried Bellm TC's?

https://www.bellmtcs.com/bellm/fflwork

John K

Offline Bored1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 04:25:09 PM »
I haven't tried Bellm TCs yet. Was hoping to find someone local, I'm sure they have a long wait also but may end up mailing it all out if I can't find anyone local, at least within a few hours drive.

Offline npgriff

• NFOA Board of Directors
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »
I am told that Cylinder and Slide in Fremont does excellent work.  cylinder-slide.com

Offline Bored1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 11:21:58 PM »
I will have to try cylinder and slide in Fremont. Bellm TC, SSK, and DeGuns in Lincoln all are a no go for any gunsmithing services es at this time for TC Contenders

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 09:24:32 PM »
This gentleman can cut metal and he is local to Omaha:

https://www.radixprecisionllc.com/home/precision-gunsmithing

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story