• Powder Benefactor
Re: LB 77
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 04:40:47 PM »
Well done NFOA and all who worked towards this. Very proud day!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 04:55:27 PM »
Thank you NFOA for all of your hard work 

Offline DanS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 06:31:05 PM »
Channel 8 news reported that after the Gov. signs the bill, the law goes into effect 90 days after the legislature ends?

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 09:35:16 PM »
Another good step. Too bad they couldn't get the requirement to notify taken out. It kinda voids one right to exercise this right.

On another note, state patrol is failing big time on getting my renewal out in a timely manner. Forty days and no permit.

Offline DanS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 09:34:33 AM »
n another note, state patrol is failing big time on getting my renewal out in a timely manner. Forty days and no permit.

Patrol is being allowed to ignore the State law as written. How about contacting the State Attorney General office and informing that dept?
Somehow, somewhere,  there is someone the Patrol will consider above them, and will inform the Patrol their legal obligation, and that their endless excuses of why they cant comply, should stop. "our printer was broken or out of ink", "we have no staff whatsoever to dedicate to these permit requests or renewals", "well will mail them out  as time allows" <WRONG!

I support law enforcement, but because Patrol office staff or others higher up, didnt want these permits to ever be issued in the first place, is no reason to ignore the requirements in the law as written.

Question, how is the requirement that permit holders be notified of permit expiration 90? days before the date, working? Anyone get  even that from the Patrol?

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »
I got notified in February of my permit expiration in June. I applied for renewal when appropriate and am waiting for my permit.
WØCHF

Offline npgriff

• NFOA Board of Directors
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 06:34:04 PM »
I sent my renewal 3rd week of January and received the permit on March 8.  Pushing the 45 days and my expiration date.  The acknowledgement letter was dated February 28. 

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 11:27:55 PM »
https://www.nebraska.gov/apps-nsp-chp/

Online renewals with small fee
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 03:13:45 PM »
Because I can't find it on the forums, does this do away with the pistol purchase permit issued by the county sheriff?

I see it got rid of the Omaha registry, was just curious if it got rid of some of the other things as well.

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 06:42:13 PM »
Because I can't find it on the forums, does this do away with the pistol purchase permit issued by the county sheriff?

I see it got rid of the Omaha registry, was just curious if it got rid of some of the other things as well.

Not an attorney, but I don't think so. The purchase permit is a State-level requirement (Nebraska Revised Statute 69-2403), which directs the sheriff to carry it out under the State's authority. A quick search of the text for "purchase" doesn't turn up anything related to the purchase permit.

https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2403

Offline npgriff

• NFOA Board of Directors
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 07:03:49 PM »
The Purchase Permit will still be required as that is how the background check is accomplished.  Also, you have the option of keeping and renewing your current permit which also certifies a background check and can be used instead of the purchase permit.  You will also have reciprocity in some states while traveling. 

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2023, 01:28:53 AM »
Permitless carry will introduce one big problem for folks not familiar with the sections of LB77 or have not had the training necessary to qualify for a CHP: they will not know where and when it is legal to carry a concealed weapon.  For example,  will they find out if their favorite place for drinking adult beverages gets 50% or more of its income from the sale of alcohol?  I doubt it.   Will they carry concealed into a local grocery store and then absentmindedly walk into a bank branch inside that grocery store without first putting their weapon inside a locked container in the trunk of their car?  Will they even know they have to do that?  Will they know the fine points of carrying, or not, a concealed weapon in a parking lot?  Will they know what to do when approached by a NHP officer at a road stop?

I except to see a flurry of arrests of ill or uninformed citizens carrying concealed weapons in places the law doesn't allow.   Anti-2A folks will, of course, magnify the situation and exaggerate its danger.

In a truly Constitutional carry environment there would be no restrictions on where or when one can carry, or any restriction on the choice of weapon and its accessories.   All of these restrictions are a form of infringement with the same purpose/intent of eventually annulling the 2A.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2023, 10:54:32 AM »
I agree with GreyGeek's assessment.   Another problem will be with those that purchase a firearm and have no prior knowledge of how to safely handle one let alone know how to properly hold/shoot.    The lack of training aspect will show up at some point with some moron accidentally shooting themselves or some innocent bystander(s).   This was the best thing about having a CCW permit in that people not only had to take a required written test but pass the range test under qualified supervision.   Yes, some here will not agree and say the testing/fees were elite/restrictive/anti-constitutional...blah, blah, blah.  But, I firmly believe many accidents/accidental incidents WERE prevented because of the required education/training to get a CCW permit.   True story....about 15 yrs ago or so, I personally witnessed two newbs in the same CCW class up in Tekameh where this was the first time they even shot a handgun.  I took the farthest lane possible away from these two and lets just say the instructor had his hands full and devoted most of his time with these morons.  In the end, I believe they passed...but, they had to have learned something in the process.  So, now let's see how this all plays out with unknown numbers of people not having any training/knowledge.  All I can say is...stay safe my friends and watch out for who's carrying next to you.         
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline DanS

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2023, 11:40:42 AM »
All good points guys.
This is not a rebuttal, however I wonder how things are going in N. Dakota, Iowa, Kansas and Missouri with their Constitutional Carry. I would think we dont hear much, if at all, about their local LE jurisdictions making arrests for these problems. Maybe it comes down to someone, legal or not, slipping a handgun in their pants pocket or coat pocket, and not being discovered in a prohibited place. If they pull it those places, to use it, it would be another matter. I see no attempt for any CC state to try get CC off the books, not at this point anyway.

I do remember a permit holder shooting someone in the elbow inside a gas station in Lincoln, as the thief was running away towards the door with a bottle of booze they didnt pay for. I thought I heard the permit holder wasnt charged. Me thinks someone wasnt grasping the "right to defend yourself" part of the permit class.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:46:17 AM by DanS »

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 08:12:09 AM »
How is this going to affect current reciprocity requirements with other states ?

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »
How is this going to affect current reciprocity requirements with other states ?

Excellent question....which is why I'm going to keep renewing my Nebraska & Minnesota CHP's until such time that lucidness returns to the state  lawmakers...which might be a while.   

"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »
True story....about 15 yrs ago or so, I personally witnessed two newbs in the same CCW class up in Tekameh where this was the first time they even shot a handgun.  I took the farthest lane possible away from these two and lets just say the instructor had his hands full and devoted most of his time with these morons.  In the end, I believe they passed...

In my class there was a person who attempted to load the rounds in the magazine backwards and had to ask the instructor for assistance with the "broken gun." They passed . . .

Not to mention the number of people I've introduced to firearms (*after* going over the rules very, very clearly) who immediately put their fingers on the trigger with no muzzle discipline, just due to lack of familiarity.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2023, 08:12:18 PM »
It was my understanding the ccw class was in no way a substitute for training. If people failed the shooting portion of the class why were they issued certificates?
My responsibility seems to be when anyone talks about getting their first gun is to stress getting some training. Almost all the shooting ranges offer NRA Basic Pistol classes or know where to go. I used to have some cards I got at Brownells that had the 4 Rules of Gun Safety on them. I ran out giving them to new gun owners.