< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Best gun cleaning supplies  (Read 831 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Best gun cleaning supplies
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »
what do you guys/girls use to clean your guns, mags and other equipment?  what kind of lubes/cleaners/brushes/bore cleaners do you use?

currently i use Rem Oil and Break Free with patches and bore brushes.  i also have a couple of old toothbrushes and old rags that i use as well.  what e;se should i add to this?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Best gun cleaning supplies
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
I've used No. 9 my whole life.  Although for my black powder guns it's hot soapy water only.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
Hoppes No. 9 in the bore followed by Butch's Bore Shine followed by Break Free. 

The rest of the gun, a combo of No.9 and Rem Oil.  Lubricate everything at completion with Militec. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
I've been using Pro Shot Product's brushes, coated cleaning rods, and patches. They seem to work nicely.

For cleaning and lubrication, I pretty much exclusively use Breakfree products: Foaming Bore Cleaner, CLP (Cleaner/Lubricant/Protectant) for rust protection (and for easier cleaning), LP (Lubricant and Protectant) for lubrication.

The Breakfree LP seems to lubricate and stay in place much better than the CLP. But, of course, lacks the cleaner.

I've become a huge fan of foaming bore cleaner... Makes cleaning the bore tons faster and I don't have to use the rod nearly as much, lessens the chance of me damaging anything. Oh, and I always use a boreguide. :)